Looking for the perfect meal for chilly days? Look no further than this hearty vegetable soup! Whether you’re in need of comfort food or a healthy meal option, this soup fits the bill.
Made with a variety of colorful veggies like carrots, zucchini, and red bell pepper, this soup is packed with flavor thanks to ingredients like garlic, basil, and oregano. And the best part? It’s super easy to prepare! Simply grab a soup pot and a few pantry staples like diced tomatoes and vegetable broth.
Not a fan of some of the veggies listed? No problem! This recipe is customizable, so feel free to add your own favorite veggies or even a protein source like beans or tofu.
This soup makes for a satisfying meal on its own or can be paired with a side salad or some crusty bread. And if you’re looking for a meal prep option, this soup is perfect as it can be stored in the fridge or freezer for later.
So why wait? Grab your soup pot and get ready to warm up with a bowl of delicious vegetable soup!
Vegetable Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 carrots chopped
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 1 potato peeled and diced
- 1 zucchini diced
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 14 oz (396.9 g) diced tomatoes
- 4 cups (953.6 g) vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup (25.4 g) grated parmesan cheese or vegan grated cheese
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add chopped carrots, celery, potato, zucchini, and red bell pepper. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, basil, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Serve hot with optional toppings of fresh chopped parsley and grated Parmesan cheese.
2. Chop vegetables into similar sizes for even cooking.
3. Sauté onion and garlic before adding other vegetables to enhance their flavors.
4. Use vegetable broth instead of water for added depth of flavor.
5. Use dried herbs instead of fresh ones for convenience and longer shelf life.
6. Don't overcook the vegetables to maintain their texture and nutrients.
7. Adjust seasoning to personal taste.
8. Serve hot with optional toppings like fresh herbs and cheese for added flavor and texture.
Data source: USDA
This recipe can typically last up to 5 days in the fridge when stored properly in an airtight container. To store, allow the soup to cool completely before transferring it into an airtight container.
If you want to freeze the soup, allow it to cool completely before transferring it into a freezer-safe container or a freezer bag. The soup can last up to 3 months in the freezer.
When it comes to defrosting, it is best to let the soup thaw in the fridge overnight. Once thawed, reheat the soup on the stove until it reaches your desired temperature. Do not microwave the soup as this can ruin the texture and flavor.
Before serving, top the soup with fresh chopped parsley and grated Parmesan cheese for added flavor.
1) Creamy Vegetable Soup – add cream or coconut milk to the vegetable soup base to make it rich and creamy
2) Spicy Vegetable Soup – add chili flakes or jalapeños to give the soup a kick
3) Lentil Vegetable Soup – add lentils and other legumes for more protein and heartiness
4) Tomato Vegetable Soup – use tomato sauce or diced tomatoes as a base for a tomato-based soup
5) Chicken Vegetable Soup – add cooked chicken to the vegetable soup base for additional protein and flavor
6) Minestrone Soup – add pasta, beans, and tomatoes along with a variety of vegetables to make a hearty and comforting minestrone soup.
What To Serve With
1. Crusty bread or garlic bread
2. Grilled cheese sandwich or Panini
3. Salad or mixed green salad with vinaigrette dressing
4. Roasted vegetables like carrots, potatoes, or Brussels sprouts
5. Quinoa or brown rice
6. Cheese and crackers
7. Caesar salad or cucumber and tomato salad
8. Homemade croutons or breadsticks
9. Cornbread or corn muffins
10. Grilled chicken or shrimp skewers.
We are dedicated to providing the best and most effective meal plans to help you stay on track with your goals. Our team constantly tests and experiments with different recipes and approaches to ensure our offerings are of the highest quality. We also collaborate with a network of nutrition and data experts from around the globe to bring you innovative and advanced meal plans.