If you’re looking for a comforting meal that will warm you up on a chilly night, this beef stew recipe might be just what you need. This delicious dish is full of hearty goodness that will leave you feeling satisfied and content. The tender pieces of beef are cooked with a range of vegetables, including onions, garlic, carrots, celery, potatoes, and mixed veggies.
The broth that ties everything together is seasoned with thyme, rosemary, bay leaf, salt, and pepper. These herbs and spices give the stew a rich and intense flavor that will make your taste buds sing. Best of all, the dish is packed with vital nutrients that your body needs to stay healthy, so you can feel good about indulging in this hearty meal.
One of the best things about this recipe is that it’s easy to make in just one pot. All you need to do is chop up the ingredients and simmer everything together until the beef is cooked to perfection. You can even customize the recipe based on your preferences by using your favorite veggies or herbs.
When you’re ready to enjoy your meal, all you need is some crusty bread to soak up all the delicious broth. This is the perfect meal to share with your loved ones on a cozy night in. With its comforting and satisfying flavors, this beef stew will quickly become a favorite in your household.
Vegetable Beef Soup Recipe
- 1 pound (453.6 g) beef stew meat cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 carrots peeled and chopped
- 3 celery stalks chopped
- 2 cups (426.1 g) chopped potatoes
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 4 cups (973.8 g) beef broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 2 cups (369.3 g) chopped mixed veggies
- Cut beef stew meat into small pieces.
- Chop onion and celery, peel and chop carrots.
- Heat olive oil in large pot, add beef and cook until browned.
- Add onion and garlic, cook until tender.
- Add carrots, celery, potatoes, diced tomatoes, beef broth, dried thyme, dried rosemary, bay leaf, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer until vegetables are tender.
- Add chopped mixed veggies and continue cooking until heated through.
- Garnish with chopped parsley if desired.
Data source: USDA
This recipe typically lasts in the fridge for up to 4 days and in the freezer for up to 3 months. To store, let the stew cool to room temperature before transferring to an airtight container or freezer-safe bag. Label with the date and store in the fridge or freezer accordingly.
To freeze, make sure the stew is completely cooled before transferring to a freezer-safe container. Leave some space at the top for the stew to expand as it freezes. Label with the date and freeze for up to 3 months.
To defrost, transfer the stew from the freezer to the fridge the night before you plan to serve it. Alternatively, you can place the freezer-safe container in a bowl of cold water to defrost it faster. Do not defrost at room temperature or in warm water as this can cause bacteria to grow.
To reheat the stew, transfer it to a pot and warm it over medium heat until heated through. Serve hot with chopped fresh parsley, if desired.
1. Slow Cooker Vegetable Beef Soup – make the recipe in a slow cooker for an easier preparation process.
2. Vegetarian Vegetable Soup – replace the beef with additional vegetables or alternative protein sources such as beans or tofu.
3. Spicy Vegetable Beef Soup – add jalapenos or your preferred spicy ingredients to the soup for a kick.
4. Creamy Vegetable Beef Soup – add cream or coconut milk to the soup for a creamier texture.
5. Tomato Vegetable Beef Soup – add canned or fresh tomatoes to the soup for a richer flavor.
6. Crock Pot Beef Stew – make the recipe with beef stew meat rather than ground beef for a heartier consistency.
7. Gluten-Free Vegetable Beef Soup – replace ingredients containing gluten with gluten-free alternatives.
8. Low-Carb Vegetable Beef Soup – reduce the amount of starchy vegetables and replace with lower carb options such as cauliflower or broccoli.
9. Italian Vegetable Beef Soup – add Italian spices such as oregano and basil to give the dish an Italian flair.
10. Asian Style Vegetable Beef Soup – add soy sauce, ginger, and garlic to the recipe for an Asian-inspired flavor.
What To Serve With
1. Crusty bread or rolls
2. Butter or margarine
3. Grated parmesan cheese or croutons
4. Green salad with vinaigrette dressing
5. Steamed or roasted vegetables, such as broccoli, carrots, or brussels sprouts
6. Baked potatoes, mashed potatoes or breaded/fried potatoes
7. Vegetable or beef fried rice
8. Cornbread or corn muffins
10. Fruit salad or dessert.
We are dedicated to providing the best and most effective meal plans to help you stay on track with your goals. Our team constantly tests and experiments with different recipes and approaches to ensure our offerings are of the highest quality. We also collaborate with a network of nutrition and data experts from around the globe to bring you innovative and advanced meal plans.