Here is a vegan version of the chicken katsu curry which is a fantastic recipe for Friday’s nights or weekends with a cold beer.
This recipe can easily be mistaken for chicken and even tastes like the real thing, which is thanks to the curry sauce and panko breadcrumbs which coats the tofu.
Vegan Tofu Katsu Curry Recipe
- Press and drain the tofu.
- In a saucepan, on medium-high, add the onion, carrots, garlic and ginger paste. Fry for 5 minutes.
- Add the curry powder, maple syrup, soy sauce and cornstatch. Stir to combine.
- Add the cocnut milk or vegetable stock.
- Use a hand blender to mix into a fine sauce. Continue to cook for another 5 minutes on low heat.
- Once the tofu has been drained. Slice and add it to the cornstarch and water, followed by the panko breadcrumbs, until all the tofu is fully coated.
- Add vegetable oil to a large saucepan which is on high heat.
- Add tofu and fry for 8-10 minutes, until they are golden brown on all sides. Temporarily add to separate plate and paper towel.
- Add the cooked rice to your plate, followed by the tofu chunks, leafy greens and curry sauce.
- Refrigerate up to 3-4 days.
- For best results, use a hand blender or high speed blender, to make the curry sauce.
- Nutritional information includes only the rice and tofu katsu curry.
Is katsu curry sauce vegan?
Yes, in this recipe post katsu curry sauce is vegan because it simply uses vegetables, spices, coconut milk, soy sauce, cornstarch and maple syrup. You can this katsu curry sauce for other vegan-friendly recipes and you get can real creative with it.
What is the chicken replacement?
Extra-firm tofu is the key ingredient to replace the chicken breast. In fact, you can make tofu look exactly like chicken and this recipe is an example. By using panko breadcrumbs, you may not tell the difference. You can also season the tofu with some curry powder or paprika for extra flavor.
Can you reheat tofu katsu curry? Does it work for meal prep?
Yes, we have tried to make this recipe for meal prep and it does reheat well within 3-4 days and tastes very good. You could also store leftover curry sauce in an air-tight jar to keep it fresh.
How many calories in tofu katsu curry?
This was a fantastic healthy recipe and we managed to make around 2-3 portions from this exact recipe. According to MyFitnessPal and the ingredients we used, each portion of the tofu katsu curry with rice and salad is 400 calories (kcal).
Founder @ Meal Plan Weekly. Passionate about improving physical and mental health (wellness) via nutrition.