If you’re a fan of creamy, frozen desserts, then you’re sure to love the tangy sweetness of a homemade strawberry frozen yogurt. This chilly treat is a go-to for many dessert lovers, offering all the deliciousness of ice cream with a healthier twist thanks to the inclusion of probiotic-rich yogurt.
The history of frozen yogurt as we know it today dates back to the 1970s, when it first became popular as a low-fat alternative to ice cream. Over time, frozen yogurt has gone through quite a few evolutions and variations, including the addition of fruit and other flavorings, and has grown into a beloved treat enjoyed around the world.
The popularity of this recipe lies in its simple yet delicious taste, ease of preparation, and the flexibility to adjust the sweetness and creaminess to your liking. Whether you’re looking for a refreshing summertime dessert, a healthy snack option, or just something to satisfy your sweet tooth, a homemade strawberry frozen yogurt is sure to hit the spot.
Here is why you might love this recipe:
1. Health Benefits: The recipe includes the use of yogurt which is a great source of probiotics, calcium, and protein, making it a healthy dessert option.
2. Easy Preparation: It’s a straightforward recipe that requires just a few ingredients and minimal preparation making it an easy and quick dessert to make.
3. Delicious Flavor: The combination of fresh strawberries and creamy yogurt creates a perfect balance of flavor that is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth.
Strawberry Frozen Yogurt Recipe
- Add the frozen strawberries, Greek yogurt, honey, lemon juice, and vanilla extract (if using) to a blender or food processor.
- Blend the ingredients until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Pour the mixture into a freezer-safe container and freeze for at least 2 hours, or until the frozen yogurt is firm.
- Before serving, remove the frozen yogurt from the freezer and let it sit at room temperature for a few minutes to soften.
- Scoop the frozen yogurt into bowls or cups and serve immediately. Enjoy!
- Wash and slice the strawberries and freeze them for 30 minutes before blending. Frozen strawberries help to make a more flavorful and smooth yogurt.
- Blend the frozen strawberries with Greek yogurt and sweeteners until smooth and creamy.
- Add lime or lemon juice and blend again if desired.
- Taste the mixture and adjust the sweetness or acidity as per preference.
- Transfer the mixture to a container and freeze for 4-6 hours or overnight, stirring the mixture 2-3 times in between to prevent ice crystals and maintain the consistency.
- Serve the yogurt frozen, garnished with fresh strawberries or mint leaves. Additional tips:
- Don't worry if the yogurt mixture looks too runny before freezing. It will thicken and set after freezing.
- You can also add other fruits like blueberries, raspberries, or mangoes for flavor variations.
- Using an ice cream maker can simplify the process of making frozen yogurt.
- Store the leftover yogurt in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 2 weeks. Let it thaw for a few minutes before serving again.
Data source: USDA
|Frozen strawberries||Sweet and tart berries that add a fruity flavor and pink color to the smoothie.||Fresh strawberries or other fruits|
|Greek yogurt||Creamy and tangy yogurt that adds a rich texture and protein to the smoothie.||Coconut, almond or soy yogurt|
|Honey or sweetener||An optional sweetener that balances the tartness of strawberries and yogurt.||Maple syrup, agave or stevia|
|Lemon juice||Fresh and sour juice that brightens the flavors and adds vitamin C to the smoothie.||Lime juice or orange juice|
|Vanilla extract||An optional flavor enhancer that adds a hint of sweet and floral notes to the smoothie.||Almond extract or cinnamon|
This recipe has several health benefits due to the ingredients that it contains. Here are a few:
1. Frozen strawberries: Strawberries are rich in antioxidants and vitamin C, which are helpful in reducing inflammation and strengthening the immune system. They also have a low glycemic index, which helps regulate blood sugar levels and prevent insulin spikes. Frozen strawberries are a great source of fiber and are known to aid in weight management.
2. Greek yogurt: Greek yogurt is packed with probiotics, which help to balance the gut microbiome and improve digestion. It is also high in protein, which is helpful in building and repairing muscles. Greek yogurt is a great source of calcium, which is essential for maintaining strong bones and teeth.
3. Honey: Honey is known for its antibacterial properties and is often used for sore throats and coughs. It may also contain antioxidants and can help to reduce inflammation. Honey is a natural sweetener and is often used as a healthier alternative to sugar.
4. Lemon juice: Lemon juice is a great source of vitamin C, which is helpful in boosting the immune system and reducing inflammation. It may also aid in digestion and improve skin health.
How long it lasts in the fridge: Homemade frozen yogurt typically lasts in the freezer for about 2-3 months. However, it may start to lose its texture and flavor after several weeks.
How long it lasts in the freezer: Homemade frozen yogurt can usually last in the refrigerator for about 1-2 weeks. It may start to separate or become icy if stored for longer.
Instructions for defrosting: To defrost frozen yogurt, it is best to transfer it from the freezer to the fridge and let it sit overnight. This will allow it to thaw slowly, and prevent any ice crystals from forming on the surface.
You can also thaw it quickly by placing the frozen yogurt container in a bowl of warm water. However, be careful not to let the water touch the yogurt mixture as it may melt unevenly or lose its texture. Once thawed, be sure to stir the yogurt well before serving.
1. Buy frozen strawberries in bulk: Instead of purchasing the frozen strawberries in small quantities, it is better to buy them in bulk. This way, you can save some money as buying in bulk is generally cheaper.
2. Use plain yogurt: Instead of buying flavored Greek yogurt, opt for plain, as it is usually cheaper. You can add your own flavors and sweeteners to achieve the desired taste.
3. Use a cheaper sweetener: Consider using a cheaper sweetener like granulated sugar, brown sugar or maple syrup instead of honey.
4. Skip the vanilla extract: Although vanilla extract adds flavor to the smoothie, you can opt out of it if you are trying to save money.
5. Use a juicer or Citrus Reamer: A juicer or citrus reamer can come in handy when squeezing the lemon juice, ensuring that you get all the juice out of the fruit.
6. Use a blender: Instead of purchasing a separate smoothie maker, a blender can also do the job to make this smoothie recipe.
By following these tips, you can save some money while making this delicious smoothie recipe.
Time Saving TIps
1. Use frozen strawberries instead of fresh to save time on chopping and freezing them.
2. Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth for a quicker mixing process.
3. If you don’t have time to chill the mixture in the refrigerator, pour it directly into your ice cream maker and churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
4. To speed up the freezing process, use a metal bowl for the mixture and place it in the freezer for a few minutes before transferring to the ice cream maker.
5. Skip the added sugar and use a sweeter yogurt or add honey to save time on measuring and mixing sugar.
6. Use pre-made strawberry puree or jam instead of blended strawberries to save time on blending and straining.
7. Use a food processor instead of a blender for a quicker blending process.
8. Use pre-cut frozen strawberries or strawberry chunks to save time on chopping and freezing fresh strawberries.
1. Classic Strawberry Frozen Yogurt Recipe: This recipe is a classic version of strawberry frozen yogurt that uses fresh strawberries, Greek yogurt, sugar or honey, and lemon juice. The ingredients are blended until smooth and then churned in an ice cream maker until frozen.
2. Vegan Strawberry Frozen Yogurt Recipe: For those who follow a vegan diet, this recipe uses a dairy-free yogurt alternative such as almond, coconut, or soy yogurt instead of Greek yogurt. The other ingredients remain the same, and the result is a delicious plant-based frozen yogurt.
3. Strawberry Banana Frozen Yogurt Recipe: This recipe adds bananas to the mix for a creamier, sweeter version of strawberry frozen yogurt. Along with fresh strawberries, Greek yogurt, and sugar, frozen sliced bananas are added to the blender and mixed until smooth.
4. Low-Sugar Strawberry Frozen Yogurt Recipe: For those who watch their sugar intake, this recipe substitutes a low-calorie sweetener such as Stevia or Erythritol for the sugar. The result remains creamy and delicious but with fewer calories and lower glycemic index.
5. Strawberry Cheesecake Frozen Yogurt Recipe: This variation adds cream cheese and graham cracker crumbs to create a rich and indulgent strawberry cheesecake-flavored frozen yogurt. The ingredients are combined in a blender and churned in an ice cream maker until frozen.
6. Strawberry Cherry Frozen Yogurt Recipe: For a twist on the classic recipe, this variation adds fresh or frozen cherries to the mix. The ingredients are blended until smooth and then frozen in an ice cream maker for a delicious and refreshing treat.
7. Strawberry Coconut Frozen Yogurt Recipe: This tropical variation of strawberry frozen yogurt uses coconut yogurt, coconut milk, and shredded coconut to create a creamy and decadent dessert. The ingredients are blended and then churned in an ice cream maker until frozen.
Overall, there are many variations of strawberry frozen yogurt recipe that cater to different dietary needs and preferences. All the variations mentioned above result in a healthy, delicious, and refreshing dessert that is perfect for summer.
What To Serve With
1. Fresh strawberries: top your strawberry frozen yogurt with fresh sliced strawberries for added texture and flavor.
2. Granola: sprinkle some granola on top of your yogurt for a crunchy contrast to the creamy texture of the dessert.
3. Biscotti: serve with some biscotti for a sweet and crunchy accompaniment.
4. Chocolate chips: add some mini chocolate chips to give the frozen yogurt a touch of indulgence.
5. Caramel sauce: drizzle some caramel sauce over the yogurt for a decadent, sweet finish.
6. Mint leaves: serve with some fresh mint leaves for a refreshing twist.
7. Lemon zest: add a sprinkle of lemon zest for a bright and citrusy note.
8. Fresh raspberries or blueberries: mix in some fresh raspberries or blueberries for extra fruity flavor.
We are dedicated to providing the best and most effective meal plans to help you stay on track with your goals. Our team constantly tests and experiments with different recipes and approaches to ensure our offerings are of the highest quality. We also collaborate with a network of nutrition and data experts from around the globe to bring you innovative and advanced meal plans.