This Slow Cooker Chicken and Vegetable Stew recipe is a perfect comfort food for fall nights when you crave something warm and hearty. It’s incredibly easy to make – all you need is a slow cooker and some basic ingredients including chicken, vegetables, and broth. It’s popular because it’s not only delicious but also healthy and customizable since you can add in any vegetables you have on hand. Plus, it’s a one-pot meal that requires minimal effort and clean-up. Don’t hesitate to try making this recipe and enjoy a cozy night in with a bowl of flavorful stew that will warm you up from the inside out.
Here is why you might love this Slow Cooker Chicken and Vegetable Stew Recipe
1. Easy to make: This recipe is perfect for busy people because it requires minimal preparation and can be left to cook in a slow cooker.
2. Healthy and satisfying: Packed with nutritious vegetables and lean protein, this stew will leave you feeling full and satisfied without weighing you down.
3. Versatile: This recipe can be easily adapted to your tastes by using your favorite seasonal vegetables, spices, and herbs. Plus, leftovers can be repurposed as a tasty lunch or snack the next day.
Slow Cooker Chicken and Vegetable Stew Recipe
- 1 lb. chicken breasts
- 3 cups (553.9 g) chopped vegetables
- 14 oz (396.9 g) diced tomatoes
- 2 cups (476.8 g) chicken broth
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) salt to taste
- 11/2 tsp (5.4 tsp) black pepper to taste
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup (31.7 g) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (60 g) water
- 1 fresh parsley chopped (optional, for garnish)
- Cut 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs into bite-sized pieces.
- Chop 3 cups of vegetables (carrots, celery, onion, potatoes, etc.).
- In a slow cooker, add the diced chicken, vegetables, 1 can of diced tomatoes, 2 cups of chicken broth, 1 tsp dried thyme, 1 tsp dried rosemary, 1 tsp paprika, salt and pepper to taste, 2 cloves of minced garlic, and 2 bay leaves.
- Stir to combine and cover the slow cooker with a lid.
- Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours, or until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup all-purpose flour with 1/4 cup water to create a slurry.
- Stir the slurry into the slow cooker and cook on high for an additional 20-30 minutes to thicken the stew.
- Discard bay leaves and serve the stew garnished with fresh chopped parsley (optional).
Data source: USDA
Main Ingredients Explained
|Chicken||Protein-rich meat that adds flavor and texture to the stew.||Beef, pork, tofu, or any plant-based protein|
|Vegetables||Provides essential vitamins and minerals and adds color and flavor to the dish.||Carrots, celery, sweet potatoes, potatoes, onions, mushrooms, and squash, etc.|
|Broth or Stock||Provides the liquid base for the stew and enhances its flavor.||Vegetable broth, water or any other broth or stock of your choice.|
If you want to freeze the stew, let it cool down to room temperature and transfer it to a freezer-safe container or a plastic bag. You can store it in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To defrost, put the container in the refrigerator overnight or defrost it quickly in the microwave. When reheating, make sure to heat it thoroughly until it reaches the desired temperature.
Always check whether the stew smells and looks fresh before consuming it, and discard it if it shows any signs of spoilage.
1. Beef Stew: Instead of chicken, use beef stew meat and replace the chicken broth with beef broth. You can add potatoes, carrots, onions, and celery to make a hearty and delicious beef stew.
2. Vegetarian Stew: Omit chicken and replace chicken broth with vegetable broth. Add vegetables of your choice such as mushrooms, green beans, chickpeas, and spinach to create a meatless and nutritious stew.
3. Sweet Potato and Chicken Stew: Add cubed sweet potatoes to the slow cooker with the chicken, broth, and vegetables. The sweetness of the potatoes pairs perfectly with savory chicken and vegetables.
4. Curry Chicken Stew: Add curry powder or paste, chopped tomatoes, and coconut milk to the slow cooker with the chicken and vegetables for a flavorful and aromatic stew.
5. Mexican Chicken Stew: Replace chicken broth with tomato sauce, add diced tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, and black beans to the slow cooker for a delicious and spicy Mexican-inspired stew.
6. Italian Chicken Stew: Use diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, and garlic instead of chicken broth to infuse the stew with Italian flavors. Add zucchini and bell peppers as well, to create a colorful and veggie-packed dish.
What To Serve With
– Crusty bread or dinner rolls to dip into the savory broth
– Steamed rice or mashed potatoes to serve the stew over
– Side salad or roasted vegetables for extra texture and nutrition
– Grated Parmesan cheese or fresh herbs like parsley or cilantro for garnish
– A glass of red wine or a non-alcoholic beverage of choice to complement the flavors.
We are dedicated to providing the best and most effective meal plans to help you stay on track with your goals. Our team constantly tests and experiments with different recipes and approaches to ensure our offerings are of the highest quality. We also collaborate with a network of nutrition and data experts from around the globe to bring you innovative and advanced meal plans.