Here is an easy and spicy shakshuka recipe that features a delicious tomato sauce and runny poached eggs made in one pan which is perfect for the family.
Alternatively, you can also use this recipe to prep the spicy tomato sauce which means your shakshuka can be made in 5 minutes on a busy morning by simply reheating the sauce and just making poached eggs.
What Is Shakshuka
In case you are wondering, Shakshuka originates from North Africa and the Middle East, and it is essentially a mixture of poached eggs in a spicy and delicious tomato sauce.
You seriously need to give this a try if you have never had one of these before and it is easy to follow the cooking instructions.
Traditionally, it is often associated with and listed as a breakfast recipe, but in our opinion, you can eat this any time of the day.
For example, there are variations in case you want to add more protein, vegetables, or spices.
This recipe is all about the red peppers and spices but we have in the past experimented with ground beef, lentils, and feta.
Smokey Shakshuka Recipe
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan pan and add the onions, garlic and red bell peppers. Cook for around 5 minutes and stir until fragrant.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and all the seasoning's. Stir and cook for a few minutes. Cover and allow to cook in medium heat for 25-30 minutes.
- With your wooden spoon, create individual pockets to crack each egg into. Season with a pinch of salt and black pepper. On low heat, cover and allow the eggs cook for 8-10 minutes, or when you see eggs well done. Finish off by adding chopped coriander.
- For meal prep purposes, refrigerate up to four days and use baked eggs.
Data source: USDA
- Chopped tomatoes
- Red Bell Pepper
- Various spices
- Fresh cilantro or parsley
Shakshuka Meal Prep
You can indeed make ahead or batch cook your shakshuka by simply replacing the poached eggs with baked eggs or boiled eggs. Here is a video we made.
Here are some tips:
- Prep the sauce: You can use this recipe to prep just the spicy tomato sauce which can be used for other recipes or to make a fresh shakshuka. For example, reheat the tomato sauce in the morning and make your poached eggs fresh to serve immediately. That is a breakfast made in 5 minutes.
- It is fine to reheat: We get asked this a lot and this meal is totally fine to reheat. In fact, I would recommend up to four days of experience.
We are dedicated to providing the best and most effective meal plans to help you stay on track with your goals. Our team constantly tests and experiments with different recipes and approaches to ensure our offerings are of the highest quality. We also collaborate with a network of nutrition and data experts from around the globe to bring you innovative and advanced meal plans.