If you’re in search of a delicious and nutritious recipe for any time of day, then you have come to the right place! This quinoa and vegetable bake is the ultimate dish that will satisfy your taste buds and your health needs. This dish is loaded with a variety of healthy vegetables such as bell peppers, squash, and zucchini, and you can easily customize it according to your preferences.
The addition of quinoa in this recipe serves as a protein-packed and fiber-rich ingredient making it an excellent option for both vegetarians and vegans alike. What’s advantageous about this recipe is how uncomplicated it is to make, and you will only need a few simple steps to complete it.
This quinoa and vegetable bake is versatile and perfect for any meal of the day. It’s an ideal side dish to serve with dinner, a fulfilling breakfast to start your day right, or a nutritious lunch to bring to work. You can modify this recipe to suit your taste preferences and experiment with different ingredients based on what you have in your pantry.
If you’re ready to indulge in a healthy and yummy meal, then give this quinoa and vegetable bake a try! It’s an excellent way to promote healthy eating habits without sacrificing taste and satisfaction. Don’t hesitate to try it out today and witness for yourself how tasty and fulfilling quinoa and vegetables can be!
Quinoa and Vegetable Bake Recipe
- 1 cup (172.4 g) quinoa uncooked
- 2 cups (476.8 g) vegetable broth
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 yellow squash diced
- 1 zucchini diced
- 1 cup (151.2 g) cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup (50.7 g) grated Parmesan cheese or vegan alternative
- Rinse 1 cup of uncooked quinoa in a fine mesh strainer and set aside.
- In a large pot, add 2 cups of vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Once the broth is boiling, add the rinsed quinoa to the pot and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cover the pot and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until the quinoa is tender and the broth has been absorbed.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large bowl, combine 1 finely chopped small onion, 2 minced cloves of garlic, 1 diced red bell pepper, 1 diced green bell pepper, 1 diced yellow squash, 1 diced zucchini, 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, and 1 teaspoon dried basil. Mix well.
- Add the cooked quinoa to the bowl and mix everything together.
- Transfer the quinoa and vegetable mixture to a 9x13 inch (23x33 cm) baking dish.
- Optionally, sprinkle 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese over the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and the cheese is melted (if using).
- Serve hot, optionally garnished with fresh herbs or a sprinkle of extra Parmesan cheese.
Data source: USDA
This recipe can typically last in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 1-2 months.
To store in the fridge: Place the quinoa and vegetable bake in an airtight container or wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or foil. Put it in the fridge as soon as possible after cooking.
To freeze: Place the fully cooled quinoa and vegetable bake in a freezer-safe container or bag, leaving some room for expansion. Label the container with the name of the dish and the date and put it in the freezer.
To defrost: If you want to eat the dish from the freezer, transfer the container or bag to the fridge to defrost overnight. You can also defrost in the microwave if you’re in a hurry. Be sure to reheat it thoroughly before eating.
To reheat: Reheat the quinoa and vegetable bake in a covered dish in the oven or microwave until it’s heated through (165°F or 74°C). You can also heat it up in a skillet on the stove, stirring occasionally. If you’re adding the optional Parmesan cheese, add it during the last few minutes of reheating so it melts evenly.
1. Mexican Quinoa and Vegetable Bake: Add black beans, corn, and diced tomatoes to the quinoa and vegetable mixture. Top with shredded cheese and jalapeño slices before baking.
2. Mediterranean Quinoa and Vegetable Bake: Use chopped bell peppers, artichoke hearts, and crumbled feta cheese in the quinoa and vegetable mixture. Add a tablespoon of lemon juice for a fresh citrus flavor.
3. Italian Quinoa and Vegetable Bake: Use diced zucchini, eggplant, and cherry tomatoes in the quinoa and vegetable mixture. Top with grated Parmesan cheese before baking.
4. Southwest Quinoa and Vegetable Bake: Use diced sweet potato and butternut squash in the quinoa and vegetable mixture. Top with sliced avocado and cilantro leaves before serving.
5. Indian Quinoa and Vegetable Bake: Use diced potatoes, cauliflower, and curry powder in the quinoa and vegetable mixture. Top with plain yogurt and chopped cilantro for a cooling effect.
What To Serve With
– Mixed green salad with citrus vinaigrette
– Garlic bread or whole wheat dinner rolls
– Grilled or roasted chicken breast
– Roasted sweet potatoes or butternut squash
– Steamed broccoli or green beans
– Roasted root vegetables such as carrots, onions, and parsnips
We are dedicated to providing the best and most effective meal plans to help you stay on track with your goals. Our team constantly tests and experiments with different recipes and approaches to ensure our offerings are of the highest quality. We also collaborate with a network of nutrition and data experts from around the globe to bring you innovative and advanced meal plans.