Here we will show you how to make your own peri-peri sauce. This recipe is a tasty and spicy marinade that you can use for juicy grilled chicken, seafood, beef, or vegetables.
Simply add all the ingredients to a food processor and keep it stored in the refrigerator for weeks.
It helps make the chicken taste unbelievably fresh, spicy, and tender which is ideal for the BBQ season.
What Is Peri Peri Sauce?
The peri-peri sauce is a traditional African-style chili sauce that is the perfect marinade for grilled chicken and seafood.
It’s made from African bird’s eye chilies and a combination of other ingredients. In Portuguese, it is referred to “piri piri sauce”, but otherwise it is known as “peri-peri sauce”.
You might already be familiar with Nando’s and their branded sauces, so here is a homemade version that is similar but tastes so fresh and is perfect for the BBQ season.
This recipe calls for fresh ingredients which you can buy from your local supermarket and it’s totally worth it.
Homemade Peri Peri Sauce Recipe
- 2 red bell pepper
- 8 african birds eye chilies roughly chopped
- 1 red onion
- 4 cloves garlic cloves minced
- 1 lemon juice and zest
- 1/4 cup (0.25 cup) red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp paprika powder
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper powder
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup (0.5 cup) vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup (0.5 cup) cilantro
- Add all the ingredients to a high speed blender or food processor.
- Blend for 1 minutes.
- Add to a saucepan on medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
- Allow the sauce to cool down.
- Store in an air-tight container.
- Store in refrigerator for 7-10 days.
- If you cannot get hold of African Birds Eye Chilies, substitute them with regular red bird eye chilies or use four red chili peppers.
- Use red wine vinegar to preserve this sauce for longer.
- Use a small mason jar to keep this stored properly.
How long does homemade peri-peri sauce last?
|Fridge||3-4 weeks (airtight container)|
|Freezer||2 months (airtight container)|
As nutrition specialists, we are dedicated to providing the best and most effective meal plans. Our team constantly tests and experiments with different recipes and approaches to ensure our offerings are of the highest quality. We also collaborate with a network of nutrition and data experts from around the globe to bring you innovative and advanced meal plans. All of the nutritional information provided is sourced from the USDA API.