This recipe post will show you how to make the Nandos Butterfly Chicken Burger at home which can be an amazing fakeaway on any weeknight.
What is Nandos Buttery Chicken Burger?
As described by Nandos, the butterfly burger is “two succulent chicken breasts joined by crispy skin, packed in a Portuguese roll and topped with tomato and lettuce”.
To make this at home, you can use marinades to save time, which ultimately depends on your preference and availability of the ingredients.
If you want to closely match what you eat in the Nando’s restaurant, and essentially create your own Nando’s copycat burger, the good news is that you can purchase their marinades or similar peri-peri marinades.
If your local supermarket does not sell Nando’s marinade, or if you do not want to use a store-bought peri-peri marinade, we have the recipe in this post, which you can blend in a food processor and make your spicy burger taste so unbelievably fresh!
Either way, it is perfect for BBQ season and cooking on the grill, but you can also use this recipe to cook the chicken breasts in the oven or on a griddle pan.
Nandos Fakeaway Butterfly Chicken Burger
- Ensure your chicken breast is flat: Either use a meat hammer to flatten the chicken breast, or use a knife to slice the chicken breast (not completely) to create the butterfly shape.
- Marinate: In a large mixing bowl, apply the peri-peri marinade to the chicken breasts, and for the best results, refrigerate it overnight or for 8 hours.
- Cook: For best results, cook the chicken on the BBQ grill or griddle pan. Ensure they are pre-heated because you ideally want to cook each side of the chicken breast for 5 minutes. If you are using an oven to cook the chicken breasts, pre-heat the oven for 10 minutes on 180c / 356f and cook the chicken breasts for 15 minutes, or until it reaches the ideal internal temperature on your meat. Half-way through cooking, re-apply some of leftover marinade.
- Assemble: Add the chicken breast to your roll, top up with lettuce and tomatoes, and your sauce.
- Griddle Pan - Best for cooking peri-peri chicken indoors and all year long.
How to store and reheat this chicken burger?
You can use this recipe to prep your chicken breasts for the week ahead because they go great with salads and sweet potatoes. Alternatively, you can reheat the chicken breast and make a burger within minutes which is very convenient on a weeknight. Ensure it is refrigerated for 3-4 days, or freeze it up to 2 months, and when you reheat, ensure it is piping hot throughout.
Is the butterfly chicken burger healthy?
On a generally balanced diet, this burger is fine to eat and you can easily fit it in your meal plan once a week, even if you are on a weight loss plan.
When you go Nandos, you would usually order chips on the side, and a fizzy drink, which ends up being a high-calorie meal.
If you can control the overall portion of the meal, the burger can be a great lunch or dinner recipe.
You could eliminate the roll and add the peri-peri chicken breast to a salad which will reduce the calories and carbohydrates too.
Why you will love this recipe?
- Fakeaway Friday: Follow this recipe and it really is just like eating a Nando’s burger at home. It can be a good way to save money and manage your calories.
- Spicy Prep: Use this recipe to prep spicy chicken which you can add to salads, rice, quinoa, or sweet potatoes. It can be a naked recipe simile to how I prep this burger salad or burrito bowl. It is a good way to enjoy a high protein meal with vegetables or grains.
- Fresh Peri-Peri Sauce: If you are going to make your own peri-peri sauce, I can ensure you will not regret it because it will be the next level chicken that you will taste.
Related Fakeaway Recipes
If you love this Nando’s fakeaway recipe, you should also check out these recipes below:
- Peri Peri Chicken Thighs Recipe made with this homemade peri-peri sauce.
- Spicy Rice Nando’s Fakeaway Recipe
I often use these recipes for my weekly meal prep which you can make healthy and macro-friendly by controlling the portions of chicken and rice.
Want to make these recipes below? Get some meal prep containers and use these fakeaway recipes!
Meal Plan Weekly is a resource for busy people and home cooks around the world. What started as a solo blog has now turned into a website of healthy recipes and home cooking tips written by home cooks, chefs and nutritionists around the world. Our mission is to make healthy cooking easy, with realistic recipes that you will actually cook and balanced meals that you can fit into your meal plan.