Moussaka is a delicious dish made with eggplant, ground meat, and a creamy white sauce.
It’s perfect for a comforting family meal on a hot weeknight. Our recipe is an easy and authentic version of this dish that can be included in a Mediterranean diet meal plan.
It is flavorful, healthy, and satisfying, give it a try!
Moussaka (Eggplant Lasagne) Recipe
- 5 tbsp (5.1 tbsp) extra virgin olive oil
- 3 aubergines
- 800 g (28.2 oz) lamb mince
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 3 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 bay leaves
- 300 ml (1.3 cups) red wine
- 400 g (1.6 cups) can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 550 g (2.6 cups) potatoes peeled and sliced
- Heat a pan over high heat. Add 4 tbsp of oil and fry aubergine slices until golden brown. Set aside on a plate lined with paper towel.
- In a large pot, add 1 tbsp of oil and cook the mince for 8-10 minutes. Remove from pot and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the pot and cook the onion, garlic, oregano, cinnamon, chilli, and bay leaf for 10-12 minutes.
- Add the mince back to the pot and pour in the red wine. Bring to a boil and let it reduce by half.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and brown sugar. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 20-22 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 380F and boil the potato slices for 6 minutes, then set aside.
- In a small pot, melt butter and stir in flour. Slowly add milk, stirring constantly. Stir in parmesan, nutmeg, and egg.
- In a large ovenproof dish, layer the meat mixture, aubergine, and potatoes. Pour the béchamel sauce on top.
- Bake in the oven for 55 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool for 15 minutes before serving.
How Long Does Moussaka Last?
|Fridge||3 to 4 days.|
How To Reheat Moussaka?
|Air Fryer||5 minutes|
As nutrition specialists, we are dedicated to providing the best and most effective meal plans. Our team constantly tests and experiments with different recipes and approaches to ensure our offerings are of the highest quality. We also collaborate with a network of nutrition and data experts from around the globe to bring you innovative and advanced meal plans. All of the nutritional information provided is sourced from the USDA API.