Are you feeling the need for some comfort food that won’t weigh you down? We’ve got the perfect recipe for you! Our Lentil Shepherd’s Pie is healthy, satisfying, and packed with flavor.
Our recipe features a mouth-watering blend of nutritious vegetables, including carrots, celery, onions, and an array of seasonings like thyme, rosemary, and smoked paprika. To make it even more filling, we’ve added in lentils for a protein boost that will keep you feeling full and satisfied.
But that’s not all- what really sets this recipe apart is the creamy, indulgent mashed potato topping. With just the right amount of richness, it perfectly complements the comforting flavors of the vegetable mixture below.
And the best part? This recipe is easy to customize to your taste. Whether you prefer to use homemade mashed potatoes or a store-bought option, you can easily adjust the seasonings to make it just right.
Perfect for a cozy family dinner on a chilly day or as a meal prep option for the week, we guarantee that this Lentil Shepherd’s Pie recipe will be a hit with everyone who tries it. Plus, it’s a great way to use up any leftover veggies that you may have in your fridge. So what are you waiting for? Give it a try and see for yourself why it’s sure to become a new favorite in your recipe collection!
Lentil Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
- 1 cup (194.8 g) brown lentils rinsed and drained
- 3 cups (720 g) water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- 3 carrots peeled and diced
- 3 celery stalks diced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) black pepper
- 1 cup (238.4 g) vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 cups (852.1 g) mashed potatoes
- Rinse and drain 1 cup of green or brown lentils.
- Combine the lentils, 3 cups of water, and 2 bay leaves in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Drain any excess water and remove bay leaves.
- In a separate pan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add chopped onions and minced garlic and cook until softened.
- Add diced carrots and celery and cook for an additional 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in 1 teaspoon each of dried thyme, rosemary, and smoked paprika, 1 teaspoon of salt, and ½ teaspoon of black pepper.
- Add 1 cup of vegetable broth and 1 tablespoon of tomato paste.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 5-7 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- In a small bowl, mix 2 tablespoons of cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of water to create a slurry.
- Stir the slurry into the vegetable mixture and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes until the sauce is thick and bubbly.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Spread the vegetable mixture into a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Top with 4 cups of mashed potatoes.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are golden brown.
Data source: USDA
This Lentil Shepherd’s Pie recipe can last up to 3-4 days in the refrigerator if stored properly in an airtight container. If you want to keep it longer, you can store it in the freezer for up to 2-3 months.
To store the Shepherd’s Pie in the refrigerator, let it cool to room temperature first. Once cooled, transfer the leftover pie to a container with an airtight lid and store it in the refrigerator.
To freeze the Shepherd’s Pie, simply let the pie cool to room temperature before freezing. Once cooled, transfer the pie to a freezer-safe container with an airtight lid, and then store it in the freezer.
When ready to eat, you can defrost it in the refrigerator overnight or on the counter for a few hours. You can either reheat it in the microwave or in the oven until it’s heated thoroughly.
1. Vegan Lentil Shepherd’s Pie – This variation uses plant-based ingredients, such as vegan butter and vegetable stock, to create a meatless version of the classic Shepherd’s Pie.
2. Spicy Lentil Shepherds Pie – For those who love a bit of heat, this recipe adds some spice with chili powder, jalapenos, or other spicy seasonings.
3. Sweet Potato Lentil Shepherds Pie – Adding mashed sweet potato to the traditional recipe gives it a sweeter and creamier flavor.
4. Cheesy Lentil Shepherds Pie – Incorporating some shredded cheddar or Parmesan cheese into the mashed potato topping adds a cheesy twist to the dish.
5. Mushroom Lentil Shepherds Pie – This variation adds some sliced mushrooms to the lentil mixture for a heartier and earthier flavor.
6. Lentil Shepherds Pie with Cauliflower Mash – Replacing the traditional potato topping with mashed cauliflower makes for a lower-carb but still delicious version of the dish.
7. Greek Lentil Shepherds Pie – This recipe adds feta cheese and Mediterranean spices, such as oregano and thyme, to give the dish a Greek twist.
8. Lentil Shepherds Pie with Beer Gravy – Adding a splash of beer to the lentil gravy gives the recipe a deeper and richer flavor.
What To Serve With
1. A side salad – The addition of a fresh salad with greens and vegetables can provide a lighter contrast to the hearty lentil shepherd’s pie.
2. Roasted vegetables – Roasting veggies like carrots, parsnips, and Brussels sprouts deliver a nice savory flavor.
3. Mashed potatoes – A classic accompaniment with a shepherd’s pie, mashed potatoes are an excellent side dish to serve along with the hearty lentil filling.
4. Steamed seasonal vegetables – Broccoli, green beans, or cauliflower are all good choices.
5. Garlic bread – To soak up all the savory flavors and juices from the lentil filling, you can serve crusty garlic bread as a side.
6. Tomato soup – A warm bowl of comforting tomato soup would make an excellent accompaniment.
We are dedicated to providing the best and most effective meal plans to help you stay on track with your goals. Our team constantly tests and experiments with different recipes and approaches to ensure our offerings are of the highest quality. We also collaborate with a network of nutrition and data experts from around the globe to bring you innovative and advanced meal plans.