Here is a simple takeout and restaurant-style smash cheeseburger recipe that you can easily make at home with a cast iron skillet.
What is a Smash Cheeseburger?
Smash cheeseburgers are simply ground beef that you can roll into a ball and smash completely flat on a cast iron skillet with a metal spatula.
It’s a superfast recipe because ideally you would want the burger patty to be medium-rare and by smashing the patty flat will increase the time it takes to form a golden crust.
Add slices of American cheese, burger sauce, grilled onions, and your favorite toppings to make a restaurant-style smash burger at home.
Homemade Smash Cheeseburger Recipe
- 1 Cast Iron Skillet
- 1 Metal Spatula
- Divide beef into 4 portions. Roll into balls. Put in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Pre-heat cast iron pan on medium-high heat for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add vegetable oil.
- Add a beef ball and smash completely flat with the spatula and add onions. Smash again and season with salt and black pepper.
- Leave it for 2 minutes and flip it over when you see a brown crust.
- Add a slice of American cheese on top of the burger and reduce the heat.
- Cook until cheese melts and once burger are medium-rare.
- Toast burger bun for 1 minute on cast iron pan,
- Assemble burger bun with dill pickle, burger patty, and sauce.
We test recipes from our London studio. We also work with a team of nutrition and data specialists to help create meal plans that’ll actually work. The nutritional values you see are calculated by USDA.