Here is an easy homemade chicken soup recipe that is tasty and comforting for the winter months ahead.
If you ever feel run down, just make this homemade chicken soup and you should be feeling a lot better in no time!
What Is Chicken Soup?
Chicken soup is a popular pick-me-up recipe that is made from chicken, chicken broth, grains, vegetables, and potatoes.
You can also add noodles, pasta, rice, dumplings, herbs of choice, and spices to add more flavor.
Although ready-made chicken soups can be convenient, the homemade recipe is far superior and fresher and pairs well with crusty bread.
Homemade Chicken Soup Recipe
- 1 Instant Pot
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 8 garlic cloves minced
- 2 large carrots sliced
- 2 celery stalks sliced
- 1 lb chicken breast chopped
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp ginger powder
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- In a large saucepan (instant pot or crock pot), add olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, carrots, and celery. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add the chicken breast and cook for 5 minutes by continuously stirring.
- Add the chicken broth, turmeric, ginger, thyme, salt, and black pepper.
- Add in the pearl barley.
- Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove cover and stir. Allow to cool down and serve.
How To Reheat Chicken Soup
|Microwave||3 minutes (remove and stir half-way)|
|Saucepan||5 minutes on medium heat|
|Fridge||3 to 4 days|
|Freezer||4 to 6 months|
Founder @ Meal Plan Weekly. Passionate about improving physical and mental health (wellness) via nutrition.