This Easy Chicken Teriyaki recipe is a crowd-pleaser that both novice and experienced cooks can make with ease. Its delicious balance of salty, sweet, and tangy flavors will have your taste buds begging for more. This recipe is perfect for a quick weeknight dinner or a simple meal prep option for the week ahead. Simply marinate the chicken in a homemade teriyaki sauce, then cook it up in a skillet, and voila- dinner is served! Don’t hesitate, grab the ingredients and try making this scrumptious dish for yourself, you won’t be disappointed!
Here is why you might love this Easy Chicken Teriyaki Recipe
1. Quick and easy preparation: This recipe requires very little effort and time to prepare, making it perfect for busy weeknights or when you’re short on time.
2. Delicious and flavorful: The homemade teriyaki sauce is the star of the dish, adding a perfect balance of sweet and savory flavors to the tender chicken.
3. Versatile and customizable: This recipe can be easily adapted to suit your preference by adding your favorite vegetables, adjusting the level of sweetness or spiciness, or using different cuts of chicken.
Easy Chicken Teriyaki Recipe
- 4 chicken thighs
- 1/4 cup (58.8 g) soy sauce
- 1/4 cup (59.9 g) mirin
- 1/4 cup (60.9 g) sake
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 tablespoon Green onions sliced (for garnish)
- 1 teaspoon (1 tsp) sesame seeds for garnish
- In a bowl, mix together the soy sauce, mirin, sake, brown sugar, grated ginger, and minced garlic.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken thighs to the skillet and cook until browned on each side (about 10 minutes per side).
- Pour the sauce mixture over the chicken thighs in the skillet.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer and continue to cook for about 5 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- In a small bowl, mix together the cornstarch and cold water to create a slurry.
- Add the slurry to the skillet and stir until the sauce thickens.
- Once the sauce has thickened, remove the skillet from the heat.
- Optional: Serve the chicken teriyaki over cooked rice.
- Garnish with sliced green onions and white sesame seeds. Enjoy!
2. Marinate the chicken in a mixture of soy sauce, honey, sake or mirin, and ginger for at least 30 minutes or overnight for maximum flavor
3. Cook the chicken on a preheated grill, skillet, or oven until cooked through and lightly charred on the outside
4. Allow the chicken to rest for a few minutes before slicing it into bite-sized pieces
5. Prepare the teriyaki sauce by combining soy sauce, mirin or sake, sugar, and cornstarch in a saucepan and cooking until thickened
6. Add the sliced chicken to the sauce and cook for another minute or two, stirring to coat evenly
7. Serve the teriyaki chicken hot over rice, garnished with sliced green onions and sesame seeds
8. To add more depth of flavor, consider adding garlic, green onions, or sesame oil to the marinade or sauce
9. Adjust the sweetness and saltiness of the sauce to your taste preferences by adding more or less sugar or soy sauce
10. Experiment with different types of vegetables or proteins to create your own unique version of teriyaki.
Data source: USDA
Main Ingredients Explained
|Chicken||Meat from a chicken, usually boneless and skinless||Tofu, beef, pork, shrimp, or any other protein of choice|
|Teriyaki sauce||A sauce made from soy sauce, sugar, mirin, and sake or wine||Homemade teriyaki sauce or store-bought alternatives|
|Rice||A grain that is cooked and served as a staple food in Asia||Quinoa, couscous, or any other grain of choice|
Easy Chicken Teriyaki Recipe. However, typically a homemade chicken teriyaki dish could last in the fridge for up to 4 days if stored in an airtight container. To extend its shelf life, it can be frozen for up to 6 months. To store, let the dish cool down to room temperature, then transfer it to an airtight container or zip-lock bag. It is important to label the container with the date of preparation to keep track of its freshness or expiry.
To freeze, either store it in an airtight container or wrap it tightly with aluminum foil or plastic wrap. Make sure to squeeze out as much air as possible to avoid freezer burn. When ready to eat, defrost the dish in the fridge overnight. Reheat it in the microwave or on the stove over medium heat until it reaches the desired temperature.
1. Teriyaki Bowl: Serve the chicken teriyaki over a bowl of rice with some steamed vegetables.
2. Teriyaki Stir-Fry: Marinate bite-sized pieces of chicken in teriyaki sauce and stir-fry with some vegetables like mushrooms, peppers and onions.
3. Teriyaki Skewers: Cut the chicken into small pieces and thread onto skewers along with some veggies like bell peppers and onions. Grill for a delicious and easy-to-eat snack.
4. Teriyaki Burgers: Mix ground chicken with some teriyaki sauce, form into patties, and grill or pan-fry. Serve on buns with your favorite toppings.
5. Teriyaki Noodles: Mix cooked noodles with some teriyaki sauce and sautéed vegetables along with bite-sized pieces of chicken. Serve as a filling meal.
6. Teriyaki Tacos: Cook the chicken in teriyaki sauce and serve on tortillas with some shredded lettuce, tomatoes, and cheese.
7. Teriyaki Pita Pockets: Fill pita pockets with chicken marinated with teriyaki sauce, cucumber, tomato, and lettuce.
8. Teriyaki Pizza: Replace tomato sauce with teriyaki sauce and top with chicken, veggies, and cheese for a unique pizza experience.
What To Serve With
Here are some suggestions:
1. Steamed rice
2. Roasted vegetables (such as broccoli, carrots, or bell peppers)
3. Stir-fried vegetables (such as bok choy, mushrooms, or snow peas)
5. Miso soup
6. Egg rolls or spring rolls
7. Asian-style salad
8. Fried rice
9. Ramen noodles
10. Tempura vegetables or shrimp.
We are dedicated to providing the best and most effective meal plans to help you stay on track with your goals. Our team constantly tests and experiments with different recipes and approaches to ensure our offerings are of the highest quality. We also collaborate with a network of nutrition and data experts from around the globe to bring you innovative and advanced meal plans.