If you’re searching for a meal that can satisfy both your taste buds and body, this coconut milk and lentil curry recipe can certainly do the trick. Its enticing aroma, thanks to a blend of fragrant spices like curry powder, turmeric, and cinnamon, promises a satisfying flavor explosion in every bite. It’s also packed with multiple layers of taste sensations that are both bold and complex – something that even the most discerning palates will appreciate.
But what makes this curry recipe even more appealing is its nutritional value. With the richness of protein-packed red lentils and the velvety smoothness of coconut milk, this dish is perfect for colder weather. Its filling nature can sustain you throughout the day, providing you with the energy and nourishment you need to tackle your daily tasks.
Aside from its delectable taste and innate health benefits, this recipe is incredibly easy to prepare. With just a few basic ingredients and 30 minutes on the clock, you can whip up a warm and rewarding curry dish that can impress even the most sophisticated diners. Whether you’re an experienced cook or a novice in the kitchen, this coconut milk and lentil curry is an excellent choice for anyone who wants to try something new and delicious. So why not give it a shot and indulge in a deliciously hearty and wholesome meal today?
Coconut Milk and Lentil Curry Recipe
- 1 cup (182.6 g) red lentils
- 2 cups (480 g) water
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp ginger grated
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (0.2 tsp) cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp cilantro for garnish
- Rinse 1 cup of red lentils in a mesh strainer and set aside.
- In a pot, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat.
- Add 1 chopped onion and cook until softened.
- Add 2 cloves of minced garlic and 1 tbsp of grated ginger and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add 2 tbsp of curry powder, 1 tsp of turmeric, 1 tsp of cumin, 1 tsp of coriander, 1/2 tsp of cinnamon, 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper, and stir for about 30 seconds.
- Add the rinsed red lentils and 2 cups of water, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and let simmer for about 20 minutes, or until lentils are tender.
- Stir in 1 can of coconut milk, and let simmer for an additional 10-15 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Optional: garnish with chopped cilantro before serving.
Data source: USDA
Typically, this Coconut Milk and Lentil Curry Recipe can last for up to 4 days in the refrigerator if stored properly in an airtight container. If frozen, it can last for up to 3 months.
To store, let the curry cool completely before transferring it to an airtight container. Label and date it, and store it in the fridge or freezer depending on when you plan to consume it.
To freeze, let the curry cool completely before transferring it to a freezer-safe container or a plastic freezer bag. Remove as much air as possible and seal tightly. Label the container or the bag with the date and the contents.
To defrost, remove the curry from the freezer and transfer it to the fridge to thaw overnight. Alternatively, you can defrost it in the microwave or by placing it in a pot of warm water.
To reheat, transfer the curry to a pot and heat it on low heat, stirring occasionally until heated through. Add water as needed to thin out the curry to your preferred consistency.
Garnish with chopped cilantro, if desired, and enjoy!
1. Vegetable Lentil Curry- Replace the chicken with your favorite vegetables such as carrots, sweet potato, and bell peppers.
2. Peanut Butter Lentil Curry – Add 1/4 cup of creamy peanut butter to the curry for a nutty and creamy flavor.
3. Red Lentil Curry – Use red lentils instead of green or brown lentils for a creamier texture.
4. Thai Coconut Lentil Curry – Add Thai flavors such as lemongrass, basil and curry paste.
5. Lentil Dal – Soften the lentils more to make a smoother, creamier curry.
6. Curry Soup – Add more coconut milk or broth to create a soup-style dish.
7. Lentil and Chickpea Curry – Add cooked chickpeas to the recipe to make a heartier dish.
8. Lentil Curry with Spinach – Add fresh spinach leaves to the curry to get a vegetable boost.
9. Cilantro and Lime Lentil Curry – Add fresh cilantro and lime juice during the final stages of cooking to give a fresh, bright taste to the curry.
10. Spicy Lentil Curry – Add more cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes for a spicy kick.
What To Serve With
1. Steamed white or brown rice
2. Naan bread or roti
3. Fresh herbs such as cilantro or parsley for garnish
4. Pickled vegetables or chutney for tanginess
5. Yogurt or raita for creaminess and cooling effect
6. Fried or roasted papadum for texture and crunch
7. Salad or vegetables on the side for balance and nutrition.
We are dedicated to providing the best and most effective meal plans to help you stay on track with your goals. Our team constantly tests and experiments with different recipes and approaches to ensure our offerings are of the highest quality. We also collaborate with a network of nutrition and data experts from around the globe to bring you innovative and advanced meal plans.