Looking for a satisfying and flavorful meal that will warm you up on a cold night? Try this delicious Chickpea Curry recipe! Made with a blend of fragrant and aromatic spices, including onions, garlic, jalapeño pepper, and ginger, this dish offers a mouthwatering experience that is sure to tantalize your taste buds.
This dish is also incredibly easy to prepare, making it an excellent choice for busy weeknights when you’re looking for something hearty and healthy. Simply combine the chickpeas, diced tomatoes, and coconut milk to create a creamy and indulgent sauce that brings all the ingredients together.
Not only is this Chickpea Curry recipe packed with flavor, but it’s also an excellent source of protein and fiber, making it an ideal vegetarian option for any meal. Serve it over rice and garnish with fresh cilantro to add some color and texture to the dish.
Whether you’re serving it to a crowd or simply looking for a recipe to keep in your dinner rotation, this Chickpea Curry is sure to please. So why wait? Give it a try tonight and discover a new favorite dish that the whole family will love!
Chickpea Curry Recipe
- 15 oz (425.2 g) chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger grated
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 14 oz (396.9 g) diced tomatoes
- 14 oz (396.9 g) coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon cilantro for garnish
- Drain and rinse two 15 oz cans of chickpeas
- Chop one large onion
- Mince two garlic cloves
- Seed and mince one jalapeño pepper
- Grate one tablespoon of ginger
- Combine all ingredients (except cilantro and rice) in a pot
- Cook until chickpeas are warmed fully and sauce has thickened slightly
- Serve over cooked rice
- Garnish with fresh cilantro
2. Use fresh ginger instead of powdered ginger for the best flavor.
3. Adjust the spiciness level to your preference by adding more or less jalapeño pepper.
4. Add the spices to the pot first and toast them for a minute or two to enhance their flavors.
5. Use full-fat coconut milk for a creamier and richer texture.
6. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt as needed.
7. Serve the curry over a bed of fluffy, aromatic rice for a complete meal.
8. Garnish with fresh cilantro to add a pop of color and a burst of freshness to the dish.
9. Store any leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days, and reheat gently on the stove or in the microwave before serving.
Data source: USDA
This Chickpea Curry recipe can typically last in the fridge for up to 4 days and can be stored in an airtight container. To freeze the curry, let it cool down to room temperature and transfer it into a freezer-safe container. It can last in the freezer for up to 3 months. When ready to use, thaw the curry in the fridge overnight and reheat it in a saucepan or microwave until it is warmed through. Serve it with cooked rice and garnish with fresh cilantro.
1. Vegan Chickpea Curry – substitute coconut milk for regular milk and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth to make a vegan and vegetarian-friendly option.
2. Spicy Chickpea Curry – add cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes to the recipe to give the curry a spicy kick.
3. Chickpea and Spinach Curry – add chopped spinach to the recipe to make it a one-pot wonder with some extra nutrients.
4. Slow Cooker Chickpea Curry – place all the ingredients in a slow cooker and cook for 6-8 hours to allow the flavors to develop and have a ready-made meal after a busy day.
5. Chickpea and Potato Curry – add diced potatoes to the recipe to make it more filling and hearty.
6. Chickpea and Cauliflower Curry – substitute cauliflower for spinach to create a thicker curry, and add diced tomatoes to give it a tangy flavor.
7. Chickpea and Lentil Curry – mix chickpeas and lentils to give your curry more protein and add more thickness to the sauce.
8. Chickpea and Paneer Curry – add cubed paneer cheese to the recipe for added texture and richness.
What To Serve With
– Steamed or basmati rice
– Naan bread
– Raita (yogurt and cucumber side dish)
– Chutney (to add extra flavor)
– Fresh cilantro (to garnish)
– Roasted vegetables (such as carrots, cauliflower, or broccoli) for a more filling meal
– Mango chutney or sliced fresh mango for a sweet contrast
We are dedicated to providing the best and most effective meal plans to help you stay on track with your goals. Our team constantly tests and experiments with different recipes and approaches to ensure our offerings are of the highest quality. We also collaborate with a network of nutrition and data experts from around the globe to bring you innovative and advanced meal plans.