Tired of the same old soup recipes? Look no further than this flavorful and hearty Chicken Tortilla Soup! This recipe is a favorite in many households for its delicious combination of tender chicken, tangy tomatoes, and savory spices. It’s the perfect meal for any occasion, whether you’re looking for a quick dinner on a busy weeknight or want to impress your dinner guests. So why wait? Try your hand at making this delicious dish today and taste the difference for yourself!
Here is why you might love this Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
1. Hearty and satisfying: The soup is packed with tender chicken, beans, corn, and vegetables, making it a filling and delicious meal.
2. Flavorful and spicy: The soup has a complex and delicious blend of spices like cumin and chili powder, with a touch of heat from the jalapeños and hot sauce, adding an extra layer of flavor and warmth.
3. Easy and versatile: The recipe is quick and easy to prepare, perfect for a busy weeknight, and it’s customizable, allowing you to add or adjust ingredients to suit your taste or what you have on hand.
Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 1 pound (453.6 g) chicken breasts shredded
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper seeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.2 teaspoon) chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.2 teaspoon) salt
- 4 cups (953.6 g) chicken broth
- 1 cup (243.5 g) canned diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 cup (174.5 g) canned black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup (166.4 g) frozen corn kernels
- 1/4 cup (4.1 g) chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Juice of lime
- 1 cup (116.7 g) Tortilla chips
- 1/2 cup (57.3 g) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp cilantro for garnish
- Cook and shred 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a pot over medium heat.
- Add 1 small chopped onion, 2 minced garlic cloves, and 1 seeded and minced jalapeño pepper to the pot.
- Stir in 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, 1/4 teaspoon chili powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Pour in 4 cups chicken broth, 1 cup canned diced tomatoes with green chilies, 1 cup canned black beans (rinsed and drained), and 1 cup frozen corn kernels.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the cooked and shredded chicken to the soup.
- Stir in 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro and juice of 1 lime.
- Serve with tortilla chips, shredded cheddar cheese, and additional cilantro for garnish (optional).
2. Add diced chicken and cook until browned on the outside.
3. Add in diced tomatoes, chicken broth, and seasonings (such as cumin, chili powder, and salt) and allow the soup to simmer for at least 30 minutes to let the flavors develop.
4. Once the soup has simmered, add in canned black beans, corn, and diced bell peppers for added texture and flavor.
5. If desired, top the soup with shredded cheese, chopped cilantro, and a dollop of sour cream before serving.
6. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days or freeze for later.
7. To reheat, simply heat in a pot on the stove or in the microwave until hot.
8. For a thicker soup, you can add in some crushed tortilla chips or even blend part of the soup with an immersion blender.
Data source: USDA
Main Ingredients Explained
|Chicken||Protein-rich ingredient, usually shredded or cubed||Shredded beef, ground turkey, or tofu|
|Tomatoes||Adds acidity and a savory flavor to the soup base||Canned tomatoes, tomato salsa, or tomato paste|
|Tortilla strips||Adds texture and crunch to the soup||Tortilla chips, corn tortillas, or pita chips|
In general, homemade Chicken Tortilla Soup can last for 3-4 days in the fridge, provided that it is stored in an airtight container to prevent bacteria growth. The soup should be cooled down first before refrigerating it.
To freeze Chicken Tortilla Soup, allow it to cool to room temperature, transfer it to a freezer-safe container, and label it with the date. It can be stored in the freezer for up to 2-3 months. When reheating, thaw the soup overnight in the fridge and then heat it in a pot over medium heat until it reaches the desired temperature.
It is important to note that the freezing process can change the texture of the soup, so it may be slightly thicker or chunkier than the fresh version. It is recommended to freeze the soup without adding any toppings like tortilla chips, avocados, or cheese, as they tend to lose their texture and flavor when frozen. It is best to add them as toppings after the soup is reheated.
1. Vegetarian Tortilla Soup – replace the chicken with vegetable broth and add ingredients such as black beans, corn and diced avocado for a protein-rich and filling vegetarian version.
2. Slow Cooker Tortilla Soup – use a slow cooker to simmer the chicken and vegetables for a more flavorful and tender soup. This variation is perfect for busy cooks who want a hands-off cooking experience.
3. Creamy Tortilla Soup – add a creamy element to the soup with the addition of heavy cream, half and half or coconut milk. It will give a rich, velvety texture to the soup.
4. Spicy Tortilla Soup – raise the heat level of the recipe by using more chili or jalapeño peppers or adding hot sauce to the soup. Perfect for spice lovers.
5. Instant Pot Tortilla Soup – try out an Instant Pot version of the recipe, which will reduce the cooking time of the soup. It cooks everything quickly and maintains the flavor.
6. Beef Tortilla Soup – substitute chicken with beef for more hearty towards the soup. Add ingredients such as diced tomatoes, green chili peppers, and corn kernels for a robust flavor.
What To Serve With
There are several options to serve with Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe, including:
1. Tortilla chips or strips: These add a satisfying crunch to the soup.
2. Avocado: Fresh avocado slices add creaminess and a delicate flavor to the soup.
3. Grated cheese: Shredded cheese, such as cheddar or Monterey Jack, can be sprinkled over the soup.
4. Sour cream: A dollop of sour cream adds tanginess and mellows out the spiciness of the soup.
5. Cilantro: Fresh cilantro leaves provide a bright, herbaceous flavor and aroma.
6. Lime wedges: A squeeze of lime juice can add a zingy, citrusy note to the soup.
7. Salsa: A spoonful of salsa can add extra heat and flavor to the soup.
8. Rice: A side of rice can complement the soup and add some extra substance to the meal.
9. Cornbread: A warm piece of cornbread can be a perfect accompaniment to the soup.
10. Salad: A side salad can provide some refreshing greens and balance out the richness of the soup.
We are dedicated to providing the best and most effective meal plans to help you stay on track with your goals. Our team constantly tests and experiments with different recipes and approaches to ensure our offerings are of the highest quality. We also collaborate with a network of nutrition and data experts from around the globe to bring you innovative and advanced meal plans.