Chicken Tikka Masala is a beloved Indian dish that has become a fan favorite across the world. This flavorful dish is made with tender chunks of marinated chicken simmered in a rich tomato and cream-based sauce with fragrant spices such as cumin, coriander, and garam masala. Its vibrant color and mouth-watering aroma is enough to make anyone’s taste buds dance. Popular in Indian restaurants and easy to make at home, this recipe is perfect for those craving a bold and delicious meal. Don’t miss out on the opportunity to experience this tantalizing dish – try making Chicken Tikka Masala yourself tonight!
Here is why you might love this Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe
1. Bold and complex flavors: With its rich blend of aromatic spices and creamy tomato sauce, Chicken Tikka Masala presents a truly unique and satisfying taste experience.
2. Versatile and customizable: This recipe can easily be adapted to suit your preferences, whether you prefer extra heat, more creaminess, or a spicier kick. You can also substitute the chicken for other protein options or make it vegetarian by using tofu or paneer.
3. Easy to make and perfect for meal-prep: The recipe is straightforward, and with a little bit of planning, you can make a big batch of it in advance for quick and easy meals throughout the week. Plus, the leftovers taste just as delicious as the fresh-made dish.
Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe
- 1.1 lbs (499 g) chicken thighs cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup (248.5 g) plain yogurt
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 green bell pepper sliced
- 1 cup (245.5 g) canned tomato puree
- 1/2 cup (120.7 g) heavy cream
- 1 tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped (for garnish)
- Cut 500g boneless chicken thighs into bite-sized pieces.
- In a bowl, mix 1 cup plain yogurt, 2 minced cloves of garlic, 1 tablespoon grated ginger, 1 tablespoon tomato paste, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1 teaspoon ground coriander, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, 1 teaspoon turmeric, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.
- Add the chicken to the mixture and make sure every piece is coated. Cover the bowl and leave it in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a pan over medium heat. Add 1 chopped onion and cook until softened.
- Add 1 sliced red bell pepper and 1 sliced green bell pepper to the pan, and cook for a few minutes until they are soft.
- Add the marinated chicken to the pan and cook until it's no longer pink.
- Pour in 1 cup canned tomato puree and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup heavy cream to the pan and mix well. Cook for another 5-10 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Serve hot with basmati rice and chopped fresh cilantro for garnish.
Data source: USDA
Main Ingredients Explained
|Chicken||Main protein source in the dish||Tofu, paneer, lamb|
|Tomatoes||Forms the base of the curry sauce||Canned tomatoes, tomato sauce|
|Yogurt||Used to marinate the chicken and add creaminess to the curry||Coconut milk (for vegan/dairy-free option), cream (for a richer taste)|
For storing leftover Chicken Tikka Masala in the fridge, place it in an airtight container and refrigerate it within two hours of cooking. It should keep for around 3-4 days in the fridge.
If you want to freeze the chicken tikka masala, allow it to cool completely before transferring it into freezer-safe containers, taking care to leave some room at the top as the liquid will expand during freezing. You can store chicken tikka masala in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To defrost chicken tikka masala, transfer the container from the freezer to the fridge the day before you plan to use it. Alternatively, you can use the defrost function on your microwave. Once defrosted, reheat the chicken tikka masala until it’s piping hot all the way through.
1. Vegetarian option: Replace the chicken with paneer or tofu and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
2. Paleo option: Use coconut milk instead of cream and omit the sugar. Serve with cauliflower rice instead of basmati rice.
3. Gluten-free option: Use gluten-free flour to thicken the sauce and serve over rice or gluten-free noodles.
4. Spicy option: Add more cayenne pepper or red chili flakes for an extra kick.
5. Healthy option: Use low-fat yogurt, reduce the amount of oil used, and increase the amount of vegetables included in the dish.
6. Creamy option: Add more cream or coconut milk for a richer, creamier sauce.
7. Quick and easy option: Use pre-marinated chicken and pre-made Tikka Masala sauce for a faster meal prep.
8. Lentil option: Replace the chicken with lentils for a protein-rich vegetarian meal.
What To Serve With
There are several delicious options to serve with Chicken Tikka Masala:
1. Steamed Basmati Rice
2. Naan Bread or Roti
3. Cucumber and Yogurt Raita
4. Fresh Salad or vegetable stir-fry
5. Mango Chutney
8. Onion Bhaji
9. Saag Paneer
10. Mango Lassi
We are dedicated to providing the best and most effective meal plans to help you stay on track with your goals. Our team constantly tests and experiments with different recipes and approaches to ensure our offerings are of the highest quality. We also collaborate with a network of nutrition and data experts from around the globe to bring you innovative and advanced meal plans.