If you’re looking for a delicious and flavorful meal, then you need to try chicken shawarma! This popular Middle Eastern dish is loved for its tender and juicy chicken, marinated in a blend of exotic spices and herbs, and grilled to perfection. Served with warm pita bread, fresh veggies, and a tangy yogurt sauce, it’s a filling and satisfying meal that’s perfect for any occasion. So why not give it a try? Follow this simple recipe and impress your family and friends with your culinary skills. Trust us, once you taste this chicken shawarma, you’ll never look back!
Here is why you might love this Chicken Shawarma Recipe
1. Bursting with flavor: Chicken Shawarma is full of vibrant and aromatic spices that will tantalize your taste buds, making it an incredibly satisfying meal.
2. Healthy and Nutritious: This recipe has a base of lean chicken, which is packed with protein and low in calories, making it a great option for anyone wanting to maintain a healthy diet.
3. Easy to Prepare: This recipe is simple to make and requires minimal prep time, making it perfect for busy weeknights when you want a delicious and healthy meal without the fuss.
Chicken Shawarma Recipe
- 1 lb chicken thighs thinly sliced
- 1/2 large onion thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 pita breads
- 1/2 cup tzatziki sauce or plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1/2 cucumber chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves chopped
- Lemon wedges for serving
- Thinly slice 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- Thinly slice 1/2 large onion
- Mince 2 cloves garlic
- In a bowl, mix together 3 tablespoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1 teaspoon paprika, 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander, 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, and salt and pepper to taste
- Add the chicken, onion, and garlic to the bowl and toss to coat evenly
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the chicken mixture
- Cook until chicken is browned and cooked through, about 8-10 minutes
- Warm 4 pita breads in the oven or microwave
- Spread 1-2 tablespoons of tzatziki sauce or plain Greek yogurt on each pita
- Divide the chicken mixture evenly among the pitas
- Top with chopped tomato, chopped cucumber, and chopped fresh mint leaves
- Serve with lemon wedges on the side. Enjoy!
2. Use boneless chicken thighs for juicier and more tender meat.
3. Slice the chicken thinly before grilling or cooking.
4. Use a combination of spices such as cumin, coriander, paprika, and turmeric for a classic Middle Eastern flavor.
5. Cook the chicken on a high heat for a crispy outer layer and juicy inner layer.
6. Warm the pita bread before assembling the shawarma to prevent it from breaking.
7. Use a variety of vegetables like lettuce, tomato, cucumber, and onion as toppings for the shawarma.
8. Add a tangy sauce like tahini or tzatziki to complement the flavor of the meat and vegetables.
9. Wrap the shawarma tightly in foil or parchment paper to keep the filling intact.
10. Serve hot with a side of French fries or a fresh salad.
Data source: USDA
Main Ingredients Explained
|Main Ingredients||Description||Possible Alternatives|
|Chicken||Boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, marinated in a blend of spices (cumin, paprika, garlic, etc.), then cooked on a grill or in a pan until tender and juicy.||Turkey, lamb, or tofu can be used as alternative proteins.|
|Shawarma Spice Mix||A blend of Middle Eastern spices, including cumin, coriander, paprika, turmeric, and cinnamon, that gives the chicken its distinctive flavor.||You can create your own spice mix or use store-bought shawarma seasoning.|
|Pita Bread||A soft, flatbread that is used as a wrap for the chicken shawarma.||Any type of flatbread or wrap, such as lavash or tortillas, can be used as an alternative.|
Cooked chicken shawarma can typically last for 3-4 days in the fridge when stored in an airtight container. To extend its shelf life, you can freeze it for up to 3 months.
To store, let the chicken shawarma cool to room temperature before placing it in the fridge or freezer. Make sure to seal it properly to prevent moisture from seeping in.
To freeze, you can either put the chicken shawarma slices in a freezer bag or wrap them individually in plastic wrap before placing them in the freezer.
To defrost, you can transfer the frozen chicken shawarma to the fridge and let it thaw overnight. Alternatively, you can microwave it on defrost or low power until it’s thawed. Once it’s fully defrosted, you can reheat it in the microwave, oven, or stovetop.
1. Beef Shawarma: This variation substitutes chicken with thinly sliced beef. The meat is marinated with shawarma spices and grilled on a spit, resulting in a juicy and flavorful beef shawarma.
2. Vegetarian Shawarma: For a vegetarian version, strips of eggplant, zucchini, and bell peppers are roasted with shawarma spices on a baking sheet until crispy and tender. The veggies are then wrapped in pita bread with a tangy tahini sauce.
3. Lamb Shawarma: This variation uses lean lamb meat, marinated with Middle Eastern spices such as sumac, cloves, and coriander. The lamb is then slowly roasted on a spit until tender and juicy, and served with fresh vegetables and a creamy tzatziki sauce.
4. Shawarma Bowls: Instead of serving the shawarma in a wrap, a bowl made of quinoa or brown rice is topped with a bed of fresh greens, pickled veggies, and sliced shawarma meat. It’s a healthier variation that’s perfect for a filling lunch or dinner.
5. Mediterranean Style Shawarma: This variation uses a mix of Mediterranean spices to marinade the chicken, such as oregano, basil, garlic and lemon juice. The chicken is grilled on a skewer and served with a side of hummus, tabbouleh, and pita bread.
What To Serve With
Some side dishes and accompaniments that can be served with Chicken Shawarma are:
1. Pita bread
3. Tzatziki sauce
4. Tabouli salad
5. Greek salad
7. Grilled vegetables like zucchini, eggplant, and bell peppers
8. Rice pilaf
9. Cucumber and tomato salad
10. Garlic sauce
11. Pickled vegetables like pickled turnips or carrots.
We are dedicated to providing the best and most effective meal plans to help you stay on track with your goals. Our team constantly tests and experiments with different recipes and approaches to ensure our offerings are of the highest quality. We also collaborate with a network of nutrition and data experts from around the globe to bring you innovative and advanced meal plans.