Chicken quesadillas are a beloved Mexican dish that have become a staple in households across the world. This mouth-watering recipe combines tender chicken, melty cheese, and a crispy tortilla to create a flavor explosion in every bite. It’s not hard to see why this dish has gained such popularity, as it’s easy to make and satisfying to eat. Whether you’re planning a quick dinner for the family or looking for a crowd-pleasing appetizer for your guests, chicken quesadillas are an excellent choice. So, why not try making this recipe yourself? It’s sure to be a hit with everyone who tries it!
Here is why you might love this Chicken Quesadillas Recipe
1. It’s easy and quick to make, perfect for a busy weeknight dinner or a lazy weekend lunch.
2. The combination of tender chicken, gooey melted cheese, and crispy tortillas creates a deliciously satisfying and comforting meal.
3. It’s customizable – you can add or substitute ingredients to suit your taste or dietary preferences, such as veggies, beans, salsa, or hot sauce.
Chicken Quesadillas Recipe
- 2 cups shredded chicken cooked
- 8 flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tsp salt and pepper to taste
- Shred cooked chicken
- Dice onions and red bell peppers
- Mix chicken, onions, and red bell peppers in a bowl
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat
- Place a tortilla onto the skillet
- Add a layer of shredded cheese onto the tortilla
- Add the chicken, onion, and red pepper mixture onto the cheese
- Add another layer of shredded cheese on top
- Place another tortilla on top to sandwich the filling
- Cook until the bottom tortilla is crispy and slightly browned
- Flip the quesadilla and cook until the other side is crispy and slightly browned
- Repeat steps for remaining quesadillas
- Serve with sour cream, guacamole, and salsa if desired
2. If using oven, preheat the oven to 400°F for even cooking.
3. Cook chicken to the right temperature to avoid any risks of food poisoning.
4. Cut the vegetables into small, bite-sized pieces to ensure the filling is evenly distributed.
5. Use a non-stick pan or griddle to fry the quesadillas, which minimizes sticking and burning.
6. Do not overstuff the quesadillas as it may cause them to break apart while cooking.
7. Layer the fillings evenly on each tortilla to ensure a balanced flavor.
8. Clean the cooking surface between batches to avoid any burnt flavors sticking to the next batch.
9. Use a spatula or tongs to flip and fold the quesadillas during frying or grilling.
10. Cut the quesadillas into wedges before serving to make them easier to eat.
Data source: USDA
Main Ingredients Explained
|Chicken||Cooked meat typically shredded or diced, used as the protein in the quesadilla||Ground beef, shrimp, beans, tofu|
|Cheese||Shredded or sliced cheese used to melt and hold the quesadilla together||Monterey Jack, cheddar, queso fresco|
|Tortillas||Flat bread used to wrap the filling||Flour or corn tortillas|
Generally speaking, chicken quesadillas can be stored in the fridge for up to three to four days. It is important to store them in an airtight container or wrap them tightly in plastic wrap to prevent them from drying out.
To freeze chicken quesadillas, individually wrap them in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and then store them in a freezer-safe container or freezer bag. They can last up to six months in the freezer.
To defrost frozen chicken quesadillas, remove them from the freezer and let them thaw in the fridge overnight. Alternatively, you can reheat them from frozen in the oven or on a skillet on low heat. Remember to make sure that the internal temperature reaches 165°F to ensure that they are safe to eat.
1. Vegetarian Quesadillas – simply omit the chicken and add your favorite veggies such as peppers, onions, mushrooms, and spinach.
2. BBQ Chicken Quesadillas – use BBQ sauce instead of salsa and add some smoked chicken or pulled pork for a smoky flavor.
3. Breakfast Quesadillas – add scrambled eggs, bacon or sausage, and cheese for a hearty breakfast option.
4. Greek Quesadillas – swap the salsa for tzatziki sauce and add grilled chicken, feta cheese, and olives.
5. Buffalo Chicken Quesadillas – toss shredded chicken in buffalo sauce, add some blue cheese or ranch dressing, and serve with celery sticks on the side.
6. Seafood Quesadillas – use shrimp, lobster, or crab meat instead of chicken, add avocado, lime juice, and cilantro for a fresh, coastal flavor.
7. Tex-Mex Quesadillas – load up on black beans, corn, tomatoes, cheese, and taco seasoning for a classic Mexican-inspired dish.
What To Serve With
2. Sour cream
4. Fresh lime wedges
5. Mexican rice
6. Refried beans
7. Salad with a tangy dressing.
8. Chili con carne.
We are dedicated to providing the best and most effective meal plans to help you stay on track with your goals. Our team constantly tests and experiments with different recipes and approaches to ensure our offerings are of the highest quality. We also collaborate with a network of nutrition and data experts from around the globe to bring you innovative and advanced meal plans.