This chicken burrito meal prep bowl is a healthier alternative to the take-out burrito and is low-carb, light, and macro-friendly.
Isn’t this just a leftover chicken burrito? Well, you can eat this hot or cold which happens to be convenient for work lunch or when you need to save time in the evening.
As a result, it’s a well-prepared chicken burrito bowl that is healthy and satisfying.
Chicken burrito bowls are lower in calories and are considered to be healthier compared to the traditional or fast-food-style burrito because there are no wraps and you have the option to also eliminate the rice.
For example, if you order a medium burrito from Tortilla, their medium wrap and Mexican rice are 359 calories alone.
However, this does not mean you should avoid rice or flatbread because it is just a strategic move to eliminate calorie-dense foods to free up space within your daily caloric intake goal.
It also means you can eat this burrito bowl regularly and prep it for your lunch at work which can help you “enjoy eating without worrying about high calories” which is a huge win.
Recipe tips & help
How to meal prep
This will be fine to store in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days but do ensure your ingredients are fresh. I would not recommend freezing this recipe.
How to reheat
If you have cooked this with rice, you will need to reheat this burrito bowl for 2 minutes and ensure the chicken breasts are piping hot. If you have not used rice, you can eat this burrito bowl cold and the chicken breasts will taste better this way.
How to keep Guacamole fresh?
If you want to prep the guacamole for this chicken burrito bowl, it can be done two ways: purchase a store-bought version or you can try a proven hack.
If you have always been wary of using guacamole for meal prep but it is usually fine up to three days (four, if you are pushing it).
So, how do you store guacamole for meal prep without it going brown? The key is acidity and air-tight containers to prevent oxidation.
Also, you can use a plastic wrap to cover the guacamole and this works fantastically well, so you should give this a go.
If you are going to meal prep DIY guacamole, store it in an air-tight container, add lime juice, and aim to consume it within three days.
Healthy Chicken Burrito Meal Prep Bowl
- Ensure you flatten your chicken breast before seasoning. In a large mixing bowl, combine the chicken breast and taco seasoning.
- On a medium-high heated pan, add olive oil and your chicken breasts. Cook each side for 5-8 minutes (or once it reaches the ideal internal tempreature). Once cooled down, slice your chicken breasts into thin stripes.
- Pan-roast the sliced bell peppers in olive oil over medium heat for 8-10 minutes, or until skins start to blister.
- Add the remaining ingredients: cooked rice, black beans, sweet corn, avocado and tomatoes to your meal prep box..
- Refrigerate and consume within 3-4 days
- To keep the guacamole fresh: add lime juice, cover with a plastic wrap and store in air-tight container.
- To make your own taco seasoning, mix together: 1 tbsp Olive Oil, 1 tbsp Chilli Powder, 1/2 tbsp Paprika, 1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes, 1 tbsp Ground Cumin, 1/2 tsp Dried Oregano, 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder, 1/2 tsp Onion Powder, 1/2 tsp Salt & 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- To make your own guacamole, mix together: 3 Ripe Acocados, 1 Lime (juiced), 1 tbsp Coriander (finely chopped), 1/4 tsp Salt, 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
Data source: USDA
We are dedicated to providing the best and most effective meal plans to help you stay on track with your goals. Our team constantly tests and experiments with different recipes and approaches to ensure our offerings are of the highest quality. We also collaborate with a network of nutrition and data experts from around the globe to bring you innovative and advanced meal plans.