Jerk Chicken Bowl Recipe with Mango Salsa Recipe
- 14 oz chicken breast cut bite-sized chunks.
- 4 tsp jerk marinade
- 1 cup rice
- 1 mango finely diced.
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Cilantro finely chopped
- 1 lime juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1/2 tsp salt to taste.
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Marinate the chicken with the jerk marinade overnight or for at least 4 hours.
- Pre-heat your griddle pan or saucepan on high heat. Reduce to medium-high heat after several minutes, add olive oil and the jerk chicken. Cook for 5-6 minutes on each side.
- Cook the rice in a saucepan, by adding 1 & 1/2 cup of water and 1 cup of rice.
- Prep the mango salsa by finely dicing the mango, finely chopping the onion, and cilantro. Add all the ingredients to a mixing bowl and add the lime juice.
- Serve the jerk chicken, rice and mango salsa, or add it to a meal prep container if you want to reheat it for the week-ahead.
- This recipe will keep well in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- You can freeze this recipe for up to 1 month.
- Reheat for 2-3 minutes in the microwave.
- You can use any jerk marinade but this recipe card features a homemade version.
This jerk chicken bowl with mango salsa is a great way to combine spicy food with fresh and sweet fruit that totally satisfies the tastes buds.
There are many ways to cook jerk chicken and the best is the traditional way but here is an easy and quick variation of the recipe which allows you to enjoy the flavors and taste but helping you save time and use fewer ingredients.
This includes a home-made jerk chicken marinade which you can simply blend together and store in your fridge for the week. It is a great alternative to using store bought marinades to get fresher flavor and ingredients.
You can use this jerk chicken and mango salsa recipe for your meal prep through the week, or you can just prep the jerk chicken marinade to help you save time cooking a weeknight dinner meal.
Why you will love this recipe?
- Easy jerk chicken recipe with basic ingredients.
- Quick dinner idea for the weeknight.
- Homemade jerk marinade which you can prep.
- High protein and low in calories.
If you like spicy chicken recipes, why not try:
- Cheesy Chicken Buffalo Pasta
- Quick Chicken Saag Recipe
- Butterfly Chicken Burger (Nandos Fakeaway Recipe)
How to make this recipe
1) Main ingredients
- Chicken Breast Fillet: I used chicken breast fillet pieces from my local supermarket but you can use any type of chicken for this recipe. For a meal prep, using chicken breasts is a great way to control calories, but if you want this to be more tasty, choose chicken thighs or chicken legs.
- Easy Jerk Chicken Marinade: Here is an easy jerk chicken marinade which you can prep for the week and it is an amazing time saver. Yes, you can use store bought jerk marinade but it is so much more fresh and better when you make it yourself. I have tried to make the ingredient list less intimidating for this marinade which means you can easily make it yourself on the weekend, store in the fridge for the week, marinate the chicken overnight or during the day and cook it on a weeknight.
- Mango Salsa: To balance out this spicy chicken recipe, using mango salsa seriously takes it to another level.
Prep the jerk chicken marinade by following this easy recipe. Alternatively, you could skip this step and use a store bought jerk marinade.
Marinate the chicken with the jerk marinade overnight or during the day. Your chicken will be so tasty. There are several cooking methods you can choose after.
Cook the chicken breasts, if you have any leftover marinade, reapply. Prep the rice and mango salsa in the background. More details are in the recipe card below.
3) Reheat and storage
As you can see, this jerk chicken bowl recipe with mango salsa is ideal for meal prep because you can make several portions and it is incredibly tasty.
It is a great way to save time because you can prep for your lunch or dinner, by simply reheat it and it will still taste fresh.
How to meal prep this jerk chicken bowl:
- Store in the fridge up to 3-4 days, ensure you use fresh ingredients and use the 2-hour rule.
- You can freeze this for up to 1 month.
- Reheat in the microwave for 2-3 minutes, until piping hot throughout (remember to remove the mango salsa).
4) What else can you do with this recipe?
You can use this recipe in many ways. You could make it fresh and eat the leftovers within 3-4 days. You could also purposely prep this recipe which means you have meals on the go to save time.
The problem is that you might get bored with eating the same meal every day, so you can use this many ways which includes:
- Add the jerk chicken and mango salsa to a tortilla wrap, and add fresh guacamole. It will taste amazing because you will have many flavours.
- Instead of rice, you can use sweet potatoes to balance out the spice.
- You could use pineapple instead of mango which will taste even sweeter.
- You could add the jerk chicken to a burger roll and use the mango salsa as a topping.
If you have any good ideas, please drop a comment below.
Frequently asked questions
Can I just use a store bought jerk marinade for this recipe?
Yes, of course. You can use a marinade like reggae-reggae sauce and follow the same instructions. The reason why I prefer to make my own is because I already have all ingredients stored at home, it takes less than 10 minutes and tastes fresher.
I like this recipe but I want to make it vegan or vegetarian, what do I substitute the chicken with?
Great question! Use tofu and it will still taste amazing. You could also use eggplant or seitan, or even just sweet potatoes. They will all taste great once marinated.
What can I substitute the rice with?
You have a few options: sweet potatoes or potatoes are good replacements. If you want to keep it low-carb, you have various options like cauliflower rice or zoodles.
Meal Plan Weekly is a resource for busy people and home cooks around the world. What started as a solo blog has now turned into a website of healthy recipes and home cooking tips written by home cooks, chefs and nutritionists around the world. Our mission is to make healthy cooking easy, with realistic recipes that you will actually cook and balanced meals that you can fit into your meal plan.