Looking for a healthy yet delicious meal that can be whipped up in minutes? Look no further than the classic crowd-pleaser: chicken and vegetable stir-fry! This dish is a go-to for busy weeknights or easy entertaining. Tender chicken, crisp vegetables, and savory sauces combine in a mouthwatering medley of flavors and textures that will satisfy any palate. Whether you’re feeding a family or just looking to switch up your routine, this recipe is a must-try. So why not give it a shot? With just a few simple ingredients and easy steps, you can have a healthy, flavorful meal on the table in no time.
Here is why you might love this Chicken and Vegetable Stir-Fry Recipe
1. This recipe is a healthy and nutritious option for those who want to incorporate more veggies into their diet.
2. The stir-fry method ensures that the vegetables retain their crunchiness and freshness, adding texture and flavor to the dish.
3. The versatile and flavorful sauce made from soy sauce, garlic, and honey creates a delicious umami flavor, making it a satisfying and comforting meal.
Chicken and Vegetable Stir-Fry Recipe
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 green bell pepper sliced
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 cups (184.6 g) broccoli florets
- 1 cup (97.4 g) mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) salt
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) black pepper
- Cut chicken breasts into small cubes.
- In a bowl, mix together soy sauce, cornstarch, garlic powder, ginger powder, and sesame oil.
- Add the chicken to the bowl and toss to coat.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large pan over high heat.
- Add chicken and cook for 5-6 minutes or until browned on all sides.
- Remove chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Add red and green bell peppers, onion, broccoli florets, and mushrooms to the same pan.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Return chicken to the pan and stir-fry for another 2-3 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with cooked rice (optional).
Data source: USDA
Main Ingredients Explained
|Chicken||Protein||Tofu, beef, shrimp|
|Vegetables||Fiber||Carrots, broccoli, bell peppers, mushrooms|
|Stir-Fry Sauce||Flavor||Soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, oyster sauce|
Storing in the fridge:
– Let the stir-fry cool down first before storing it in an airtight container or a sealed ziplock bag.
– Place it in the fridge within two hours of cooking to prevent bacteria growth.
– It can last up to 4 days in the fridge.
– Let the stir-fry cool down first before storing it in a freezer-safe container or a sealed ziplock bag. Make sure to label it with the date and the contents.
– It can last up to three months in the freezer.
– To defrost, transfer the frozen stir-fry from the freezer to the fridge and let it defrost overnight.
– Alternatively, defrost the stir-fry in the microwave using a defrost setting.
– Reheat the stir-fry in a pan over medium heat until it’s heated through or microwave it on high for a few minutes, stopping to stir every 30 seconds or so.
1. Beef and vegetable stir-fry – This variation can be made by substituting the chicken with beef, and using the same vegetables like carrots, broccoli, peppers, and onions. The cooking time for beef may differ depending on the cut and how thin it’s sliced.
2. Shrimp and vegetable stir-fry – Shrimp can be used instead of chicken in the recipe. The shrimp should be cooked quickly and added at the end to avoid overcooking. Other seafood like scallops or squid can also be used.
3. Tofu and vegetable stir-fry – This variation can be achieved by replacing the chicken with firm tofu. The tofu needs to be drained and pressed before being stir-fried. It can be seasoned with soy sauce or other seasonings for extra flavor.
4. Pork and vegetable stir-fry – Pork can be used instead of chicken, and it should be sliced thinly for quick cooking. This variation can be seasoned with oyster sauce or hoisin sauce to add a different flavor profile.
5. Mushroom and vegetable stir-fry – Mushrooms can be used as the main protein in the dish instead of chicken. Shiitake mushrooms work well in this recipe. They need to be cooked until tender before being added to the stir-fry.
6. Cashew chicken stir-fry – This variation includes cashew nuts to the chicken and vegetable stir fry. The cashews add a nutty flavor and crunchy texture to the dish. They are usually added towards the end.
7. Sweet and sour chicken stir-fry – This variation incorporates a sweet and sour sauce to the chicken and vegetable stir fry. The sauce is made with sugar, vinegar, and ketchup, along with other seasonings. This adds a tangy and sweet flavor to the stir-fry.
What To Serve With
1. Rice: White, brown or fried rice would be a great side dish option.
2. Noodles: Lo mein, udon or soba noodles would pair nicely with stir-fried chicken and vegetables.
3. Steamed Vegetables: Broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, or green beans are options that complement the stir-fry perfectly.
4. Salad: A simple side salad of greens, tomatoes, and cucumbers with a dressing of your choice is an excellent choice.
5. Dumplings: Steamed or fried dumplings are a classic side dish for stir-fries.
6. Egg Rolls: Fried or baked egg rolls add a delicious crunch and provide an excellent side dish.
7. Spring Rolls: Light and healthy, spring rolls make a great side dish and are easy to make.
8. Soup: A hot bowl of soup like hot and sour or egg drop soup can be a comforting and simple side dish.
9. Fried Rice: If you’re not serving rice as the main dish, stir it up with chicken and veggies for a tasty side dish.
10. Sliced fruit: Fresh fruit like grapes, cantaloupe, honeydew or pineapple can serve as a light and refreshing side dish.
We are dedicated to providing the best and most effective meal plans to help you stay on track with your goals. Our team constantly tests and experiments with different recipes and approaches to ensure our offerings are of the highest quality. We also collaborate with a network of nutrition and data experts from around the globe to bring you innovative and advanced meal plans.