These tasty Chicken and Vegetable Skewers are a hit for summer barbecues or indoor grilling any time of the year. This easy-to-make recipe is a favorite because it combines delicious marinated chicken pieces with fresh, colorful vegetables including zucchini, bell pepper, and onion. The skewers are then grilled to perfection, resulting in a tender and flavorful meal that is sure to please everyone. Serve with your favorite side dishes or enjoy as a standalone meal. Don’t hesitate to try making these skewers now by following the recipe below —you won’t regret it!
Here is why you might love this Chicken and Vegetable Skewers Recipe
1. Healthy and balanced: This recipe is a perfect combination of protein and vegetables, making it a great option for anyone looking for a healthy and balanced meal.
2. Flexibility: It’s easy to customize these skewers to your liking. Add your preferred vegetables or swap out the chicken for a different protein.
3. Perfect for grilling: These skewers are ideal for summer grilling sessions with friends and family. They cook quickly and taste delicious with a smoky char.
Chicken and Vegetable Skewers Recipe
- 3 pounds (1.4 kg) chicken breast cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 red bell peppers
- 2 red onions cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 zucchinis sliced into 1-inch rounds
- 1/4 cup (54.8 g) extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary chopped
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 15 metal or wooden skewers (if using wooden skewers, soak them in water for at least 30 minutes to prevent burning)
- Soak bamboo skewers in water for at least 30 minutes
- Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces
- Cut vegetables into bite-sized pieces
- Thread chicken and vegetables onto skewers in alternating fashion
- Brush skewers with olive oil
- Season with salt, pepper, and any desired spices
- Grill over medium-high heat for 8-10 minutes, turning occasionally, until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender
- Serve hot and enjoy!
2. Soak the skewers in water for at least 30 minutes prior to cooking to prevent them from burning.
3. Cut the ingredients into equally sized pieces to ensure even cooking times.
4. Marinate the chicken before cooking to infuse it with flavor and tenderize it.
5. Thread the chicken and vegetables onto the skewers in a balanced manner, alternating colors and textures.
6. Brush the skewers with oil before cooking to prevent sticking and ensure a crispy exterior.
7. Preheat the grill or broiler before adding the skewers to ensure even cooking.
8. Cook the skewers over medium-high heat, turning them occasionally until the chicken is fully cooked and the vegetables are tender.
9. Serve the skewers hot and garnish with fresh herbs or a squeeze of lemon for added flavor.
10. Enjoy with a side of rice, salad or bread.
Data source: USDA
Main Ingredients Explained
|Chicken||Lean protein source, high in protein and low in fat||Tofu, shrimp, beef, pork|
|Vegetables||Provides nutrients and fiber, adds flavor and color||Zucchini, bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes|
|Skewers||Used to thread the chicken and vegetables, can be metal or bamboo||Wooden or metal chopsticks, metal grilling basket|
– Chicken and Vegetable Skewers typically last in the fridge for 3-4 days if stored properly in an airtight container.
– To freeze the skewers, first, allow them to cool to room temperature. Then, transfer them to a freezer-safe container or bag and remove as much air as possible. Make sure they are tightly sealed to prevent freezer burn. They can be frozen for up to 3 months.
– To defrost, take the skewers out of the freezer and let them thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Alternatively, you can defrost them in the microwave or by submerging them in cold water. Once thawed, you can reheat them on a hot grill or in the oven until they reach an internal temperature of 165°F.
– When storing, it’s essential to separate any leftovers as pathogens from the raw chicken can spread to other foods. You can store vegetables and chicken skewers in separate containers if you feel it necessary. Make sure to cool the skewers completely before storing and, as mentioned before, store them in airtight containers or ziplock bags to prevent bacterial growth.
1. Mediterranean Style Skewers: This variation includes adding some Mediterranean inspired flavors like lemon juice, garlic, oregano, and parsley to the chicken and vegetables. You can also add some feta cheese to give it an extra zing.
2. Asian Inspired Skewers: To give an Asian twist to the recipe, you can make a marinade with soy sauce, honey, ginger, and garlic. Brush it over the skewers and grill them. Add some sesame seeds or chopped scallions for garnishing.
3. Spicy Mexican Skewers: If you love spicy food, then this variation is perfect for you. Add some chili powder, cayenne pepper, and paprika to the chicken and veggies, and grill them until they are perfectly cooked.
4. Hawaiian Skewers: This variation includes adding some pineapple chunks and sweet bell peppers to the skewers along with the chicken. Brush them with a sweet and tangy BBQ sauce, and you’re good to go.
5. Italian Style Skewers: Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and parmesan cheese are a few ingredients that you can add to give it an Italian twist. Serve them with a side of marinara sauce, and your guests will be impressed.
What To Serve With
1. Lemon rice or boiled rice
2. Tzatziki sauce or hummus
3. Grilled pita bread or naan bread
4. Roasted or grilled vegetables such as zucchini, bell peppers, and eggplant
5. Greek salad or mixed greens salad with feta cheese and olives
6. Roasted potatoes or sweet potatoes
7. Grilled corn or other grilled vegetables
8. Garlic bread or buttered bread
9. Baba ganoush or tabbouleh
10. A refreshing drink, such as lemonade or iced tea.
We are dedicated to providing the best and most effective meal plans to help you stay on track with your goals. Our team constantly tests and experiments with different recipes and approaches to ensure our offerings are of the highest quality. We also collaborate with a network of nutrition and data experts from around the globe to bring you innovative and advanced meal plans.