This chicken and rice soup recipe is a comforting classic that’s sure to warm you up on a cold day. The combination of tender chicken, hearty rice, and flavorful broth make this dish a family favorite. It’s also perfect for anyone feeling under the weather or in need of some nourishing comfort food. Plus, the ingredients are simple and easy to find at any grocery store! So why not give this recipe a try and see why it’s so popular? Your taste buds and stomach will thank you.
Here is why you might love this Chicken and Rice Soup Recipe
1. It is incredibly comforting and warming, making it perfect for cold weather or when feeling under the weather.
2. The combination of tender chicken, flavorful vegetables, and rich broth creates a delicious and satisfying meal.
3. It is easy to make and customizable, allowing you to improvise with your favorite ingredients or adapt to specific dietary restrictions.
Chicken and Rice Soup Recipe
- 1 lb (453.6 g) chicken breasts
- 1 cup (192.7 g) brown rice
- 6 cups (1.4 kg) chicken broth or stock
- 1 onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley or cilantro chopped (optional, for garnish)
- Cut the boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs into bite-sized pieces.
- In a large pot, sauté the chicken pieces until lightly browned.
- Add the diced onion and minced garlic and sauté until the onion is translucent.
- Add the diced carrots, diced celery, bay leaf, dried thyme, and chicken broth to the pot.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- While the soup is simmering, cook the rice according to package instructions.
- Add the cooked rice to the soup and stir to combine.
- Discard the bay leaf and season the soup with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot, garnished with chopped fresh parsley or cilantro if desired.
Data source: USDA
Main Ingredients Explained
|Chicken||Protein source, adds flavor||Turkey, tofu, or omit for a vegetarian option|
|Rice||Adds texture and thicken the soup||Quinoa, barley or pasta|
|Vegetables (e.g. onion, celery, carrot)||Adds nutrients and flavor||Can use any combination of vegetables such as leeks, bell peppers, and zucchini|
Storing: Allow the soup to cool down to room temperature before putting it in an airtight container. Store it in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
Freezing: Freeze the soup in a freezer-safe container. Make sure to label it with the date and contents. The soup can be frozen for up to 3-4 months.
Defrosting: Slowly defrost the soup in the refrigerator overnight or for a few hours. You can also microwave it in short bursts, stirring occasionally until heated through.
1. Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup: Add heavy cream, Parmesan cheese or cream cheese to make the soup richer and creamier.
2. Spicy Chicken and Rice Soup: Add jalapeños, cayenne pepper or chili flakes to the soup to make it spicy.
3. Lemon Chicken and Rice Soup: Add freshly squeezed lemon juice and lemon zest for a tangy flavor.
4. Vegetable Chicken and Rice Soup: Add carrots, celery, onions, and any other vegetables of your choice to make the soup more wholesome.
5. Thai Chicken and Rice Soup: Add coconut milk, ginger, lemongrass and some red curry paste and serve with a dollop of creamy peanut butter.
6. Mexican Chicken and Rice Soup: Add black beans, corn, tomatoes, and taco seasoning for a delicious Mexican twist.
7. Italian Chicken and Rice Soup: Add diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, and grated Parmesan cheese to make an Italian-inspired chicken and rice soup.
8. Chicken and Wild Rice Soup: Substitute the white rice for wild rice to make the soup more rustic and hearty.
9. Chicken and Quinoa Soup: Switch the rice for quinoa for a high-protein and gluten-free option.
10. Chicken and Lemon Grass Soup: Infuse the soup with fragrant lemon grass for a flavor-packed soup.
What To Serve With
1. Crusty bread or breadsticks
2. Salad or roasted vegetables
3. Cheese or crackers
4. Grilled cheese sandwich
5. Topped with sour cream, green onions, and cilantro for a Mexican twist
6. A side of dumplings or egg noodles for extra texture
7. Garlic bread or garlic knots
8. Gyoza or potstickers
9. Saltine crackers or oyster crackers for extra crunch
10. A simple side of steamed vegetables.
We are dedicated to providing the best and most effective meal plans to help you stay on track with your goals. Our team constantly tests and experiments with different recipes and approaches to ensure our offerings are of the highest quality. We also collaborate with a network of nutrition and data experts from around the globe to bring you innovative and advanced meal plans.