Looking for a quick and satisfying meal that’s packed with flavor? Look no further than this Chicken and Mushroom Skillet recipe! Tender pieces of chicken are cooked alongside earthy mushrooms and savory onions in a flavorful sauce made with white wine, chicken broth, and herbs. The result is a dish that is hearty, delicious, and perfect for any night of the week. This recipe has become a favorite for busy families looking for a flavorful and easy-to-prepare meal. So what are you waiting for? Try making this Chicken and Mushroom Skillet recipe today and taste the difference for yourself!
Here is why you might love this Chicken and Mushroom Skillet Recipe
1. Easy and quick to make: This recipe requires minimal effort and can be prepared in just 30 minutes, making it a perfect option for busy weeknights when you don’t have much time to cook.
2. Delicious and flavorful: The combination of tender chicken, savory mushrooms, and aromatic spices creates a deliciously rich and flavorful dish that is sure to satisfy your taste buds.
3. Healthy and nutritious: This recipe is packed with protein and essential nutrients, making it a healthy and nutritious meal option that is both filling and satisfying. Plus, it’s a great way to sneak in some veggies, as you can add your favorite vegetables to the skillet.
Chicken and Mushroom Skillet Recipe
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion diced
- 8 oz. mushrooms sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.2 teaspoon) cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.2 teaspoon) black pepper
- 1/2 cup (121.7 g) chicken stock
- 1/4 cup (60.4 g) heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Fresh chopped parsley for garnish optional
- Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and black pepper.
- Add the olive oil and butter to the skillet.
- Sear the chicken breasts on both sides until browned and cooked through, about 6-8 minutes per side.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the skillet and set them aside.
- Add the diced onion and sliced mushrooms to the skillet.
- Sauté the vegetables until softened, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic, dried thyme, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper to the skillet.
- Stir the spices into the vegetables and cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Pour in the chicken stock and heavy cream.
- Bring the liquid to a simmer and cook for 2-3 minutes until slightly thickened.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and water.
- Stir the cornstarch slurry into the skillet, and continue to simmer until the sauce thickens to your liking, about 2-3 minutes.
- Return the chicken breasts to the skillet, and spoon some of the sauce over them.
- Garnish with fresh chopped parsley if desired, and serve hot.
Data source: USDA
Main Ingredients Explained
|Main Ingredients||Brief Description||Possible Alternatives|
|Chicken||Protein-rich meat that is commonly used in savory dishes.||Tofu or tempeh for a vegetarian/vegan version.|
|Mushrooms||Earthy and flavorful fungi that complement meat dishes well.||Use any variety of mushrooms, such as cremini, shiitake, or portobello.|
|Skillet/Frying pan||A kitchen tool used for cooking food on a stovetop.||Any other cooking vessel, such as a dutch oven or a wok, can be used instead.|
Cooked chicken dishes can typically last up to four days in the fridge when stored in an airtight container. To keep it fresher for longer, you can freeze the dish for up to three months. Be sure to thaw the dish in the refrigerator overnight before reheating it in the microwave or on the stove. It’s important to always properly label and date your container when storing it in the fridge or freezer.
1. Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Skillet: Add cream or cheese to the skillet to make it creamy.
2. Garlic Chicken and Mushroom Skillet: Add garlic to the skillet to give it a garlicky flavor.
3. Lemon Chicken and Mushroom Skillet: Add lemon to the skillet to give it a tangy flavor.
4. Teriyaki Chicken and Mushroom Skillet: Add teriyaki sauce to the skillet to make it sweet and tangy.
5. Cajun Chicken and Mushroom Skillet: Add Cajun seasoning to the skillet to give it a spicy kick.
6. Italian Chicken and Mushroom Skillet: Add Italian seasoning to the skillet to give it a Mediterranean flavor.
7. Asian Chicken and Mushroom Skillet: Add soy sauce, ginger, and sesame oil to the skillet to give it an Asian twist.
8. Mediterranean Chicken and Mushroom Skillet: Add olives, feta cheese, and sun-dried tomatoes to the skillet to give it a Mediterranean feel.
What To Serve With
Ideas for what to serve with the Chicken and Mushroom Skillet Recipe:
1. Steamed or roasted vegetables, such as green beans, broccoli, or asparagus.
2. Rice, quinoa, or pasta.
3. A salad with a light vinaigrette dressing.
4. Crusty bread or garlic bread to mop up the sauce.
5. Mashed potatoes or roasted potatoes.
6. Grilled or roasted corn on the cob.
7. A light soup, such as a lemon and chicken soup.
8. Grilled or roasted chicken wings for an additional protein source.
9. A side of fruit, such as sliced oranges or strawberries.
10. A glass of crisp white wine to enjoy with the meal.
We are dedicated to providing the best and most effective meal plans to help you stay on track with your goals. Our team constantly tests and experiments with different recipes and approaches to ensure our offerings are of the highest quality. We also collaborate with a network of nutrition and data experts from around the globe to bring you innovative and advanced meal plans.