If you’re looking for a quick and easy snack or appetizer that’s sure to satisfy your cravings, try making Chicken and Cheese Taquitos! A popular dish among Mexican cuisine lovers, this recipe combines tender and juicy shredded chicken and gooey melted cheese, wrapped in crispy tortillas. These taquitos are perfect for game day, movie nights, or any time you need a delicious bite to eat. So grab your ingredients and get ready to create a mouth-watering snack that everyone will love. Don’t hesitate to give this recipe a try today!
Here is why you might love this Chicken and Cheese Taquitos Recipe
1. Delicious and savory flavor: these taquitos have a crispy exterior filled with juicy chicken and cheesy goodness.
2. Easy and quick to make: with only a handful of ingredients, this recipe can be whipped up in no time, making it perfect for a weeknight meal or a quick snack.
3. Customizable to meet preferences: these taquitos can be easily customized by changing up the fillings or toppings, allowing for endless options and creativity in the kitchen.
Chicken and Cheese Taquitos Recipe
- 10 corn tortillas
- 2 cups (284 g) cooked shredded chicken
- 1 cup (113.6 g) shredded cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 tablespoons diced green onions
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- Preheat oil in a frying pan
- In a bowl, mix together shredded chicken, shredded cheese, cilantro, green onions, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and salt and pepper
- Warm up tortillas in the microwave or on a hot pan for about 20 seconds
- Spoon about 2-3 tablespoons of the chicken and cheese mixture onto the center of each tortilla
- Roll up tightly and secure with toothpicks if needed
- Fry taquitos in hot oil until crispy and golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side
- Remove toothpicks before serving
- Serve with optional toppings like sour cream, guacamole, and salsa.
Data source: USDA
Main Ingredients Explained
|Ingredient||Brief Description||Possible Alternatives|
|Chicken||Cooked, shredded or diced meat from chicken||Ground beef, shredded pork or mushrooms for vegetarian option|
|Cheese||Shredded or crumbled cheese, commonly cheddar or Monterey Jack||Vegan cheese or nutritional yeast for dairy-free or vegan option|
|Tortillas||Soft, thin flatbread made from wheat or corn flour||Gluten-free tortillas or lettuce wraps for low-carb or gluten-free option|
Chicken and cheese taquitos can last for 3-4 days in the fridge if stored in an airtight container. To freeze, wrap the taquitos tightly with plastic wrap or foil and place them in a freezer bag. They can last up to 3 months in the freezer.
To defrost, remove the taquitos from the freezer and let them thaw in the fridge for a few hours or overnight. To reheat, you can either bake them in the oven at 350°F for 10-15 minutes or until crispy or microwave them for 1-2 minutes or until heated through.
1. Shredded Beef Taquitos – Substitute the chicken with shredded beef (such as brisket or chuck roast) and season with spices like cumin, chili powder, garlic, and paprika.
2. Veggie Taquitos – To make vegetarian or vegan taquitos, use a mixture of sautéed or roasted vegetables like bell peppers, onions, corn, zucchini, or mushrooms along with cheese or vegan cheese.
3. Buffalo Chicken Taquitos – Toss the cooked chicken with buffalo sauce and ranch dressing, then roll it up with cheese and bake or fry until crispy.
4. BBQ Pork Taquitos – Use pulled pork or pork carnitas as the filling and brush or drizzle with barbecue sauce before baking or frying.
5. Breakfast Taquitos – Scramble eggs with cheese and optional ingredients like ham, spinach, tomatoes, or salsa, then wrap in soft tortillas and bake until golden.
6. Seafood Taquitos – Use cooked shrimp, crab meat, or fish as the filling and mix with diced avocado, cilantro, lime juice, and cheese or cream cheese.
7. Dessert Taquitos – Brush tortillas with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, then fill with diced apples, cream cheese, or Nutella and bake until crispy.
What To Serve With
Here are a few suggestions for what to serve with chicken and cheese taquitos:
1. Guacamole: This classic Mexican dip is a great accompaniment to taquitos. It adds a creamy, slightly tangy flavor that goes perfectly with the crunch of the taquito.
2. Salsa: Another classic Mexican condiment, salsa is a great addition to taquitos. You can use a simple tomato salsa, or mix it up with a fruit salsa, like mango or pineapple.
3. Sour cream: A dollop of sour cream on top of chicken and cheese taquitos can provide a cool, tangy contrast to the spicy flavors of the filling.
4. Rice and beans: For a more substantial meal, serve taquitos with a side of rice and beans. The rice can be flavored with cilantro, lime juice, or other Mexican-inspired seasonings.
5. Salad: A simple green salad is a great way to balance out the richness of the taquitos. You could also add other vegetables to the salad, like tomatoes, avocado, and corn.
6. Cilantro-lime crema: This is a delicious and easy-to-make sauce that pairs really well with taquitos. Simply blend together sour cream, cilantro, lime juice, and salt until smooth.
7. Mexican-style corn: Grilled or roasted corn on the cob, brushed with melted butter and sprinkled with cotija cheese and chili powder, makes a delicious side dish for taquitos.
We are dedicated to providing the best and most effective meal plans to help you stay on track with your goals. Our team constantly tests and experiments with different recipes and approaches to ensure our offerings are of the highest quality. We also collaborate with a network of nutrition and data experts from around the globe to bring you innovative and advanced meal plans.