Looking for a quick and hearty meal that’s perfect for any season? Look no further than this easy black bean soup recipe.
This recipe requires minimal prep work and can be made in a single pot, making it an ideal choice for busy weeknights. The convenience factor doesn’t sacrifice flavor though, as a blend of flavorful spices, including cumin, smoked paprika and chili powder, lend a bold, smoky flavor to the soup that’s sure to warm you up on even the coldest of days.
The addition of red bell pepper adds a touch of sweetness and bright color to the dish, taking the flavor profile up another notch. Plus, topping the soup with fresh herbs and diced avocado adds a pop of freshness and creaminess, making each bite satisfying and delicious.
What’s more, this black bean soup is perfect for anyone looking to fuel themselves with high-quality protein, as black beans pack a powerful nutrient punch. Whether you’re a vegetarian or vegan, or just looking for a healthy, protein-packed meal, this black bean soup is sure to hit the spot. So next time you’re in need of a quick and satisfying meal, give this easy recipe a try. You won’t regret it!
Black Bean Soup Recipe
- Drain and rinse 2 cans of black beans
- Chop 1 onion
- Mince 3 cloves of garlic
- Chop 1 red bell pepper
- In a pot, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Add the chopped onion, minced garlic, and chopped red bell pepper and saute until softened
- Add the drained and rinsed black beans
- Add 2 cups of vegetable broth
- Add 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- Add 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Stir and bring the soup to a boil
- Reduce heat, cover the pot, and let the soup simmer for 15-20 minutes
- Optional: top the soup with chopped cilantro, diced avocado, sour cream or Greek yogurt before serving.
2. Prepare and measure all ingredients before starting to cook.
3. Use high-quality ingredients for optimal taste.
4. Drain and rinse canned beans before using to reduce sodium levels.
5. Sauteing vegetables before adding liquid enhances flavor.
6. Covering the pot while simmering allows the flavors to meld and intensify.
7. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed throughout the cooking process.
8. Follow suggested garnishes to add texture and flavor to the final dish.
9. Store any leftover soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
10. Enjoy your delicious and nutritious black bean soup!
Data source: USDA
In the Fridge:
This recipe can last for up to 5 days in the fridge when properly stored in an airtight container.
Let the black bean soup cool completely before storing it in an airtight container.
In the Freezer:
This recipe freezes well and can last for up to 3 months in the freezer. To freeze, let the soup cool completely, and transfer it to a freezer-safe container or Ziploc bag. Freeze flat for easy storage.
To defrost the black bean soup, transfer it to the fridge and let it thaw overnight. Alternatively, you can defrost it in the microwave or on the stovetop over low heat, stirring occasionally.
Reheat the soup on the stovetop over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until heated through. You can also reheat it in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until heated through.
Top the black bean soup with fresh cilantro, diced avocado, sour cream, or Greek yogurt for a burst of flavor and texture. You can also serve it over rice or with a side of cornbread. Enjoy!
1. Spicy Black Bean Soup – Add diced jalapenos or spicy pepper flakes to give this soup a kick.
2. Vegan Black Bean Soup – Omit any meat or animal products and replace with vegetable broth and sautéed vegetables.
3. Black Bean Soup with Ham – Add diced smoked ham or bacon for a smoky flavor.
4. Black Bean and Tomato Soup – Add diced tomatoes and use tomato juice or canned tomatoes for a richer flavor.
5. Black Bean Soup with Cilantro – Add fresh cilantro leaves for a fragrant and herbaceous twist.
6. Black Bean Soup with Sweet Potato – Add diced sweet potato for a touch of sweetness and texture.
7. Black Bean Soup with Avocado – Top the soup with diced ripe avocado for a creamy and refreshing finish.
What To Serve With
– Shredded cheese
– Sour cream
– Diced avocado
– Chopped cilantro
– Sliced jalapenos
– Cornbread or garlic bread
– Tortilla chips or plantain chips
– Grilled chicken or shrimp
– Salad or coleslaw on the side.
We are dedicated to providing the best and most effective meal plans to help you stay on track with your goals. Our team constantly tests and experiments with different recipes and approaches to ensure our offerings are of the highest quality. We also collaborate with a network of nutrition and data experts from around the globe to bring you innovative and advanced meal plans.