This tasty and quick beetroot hummus recipe will be your new go-to appetizer, which is perfect to prepare for the week ahead.
Even if you’re not a fan of beets, this recipe may convert you because it’s a very tasty dip that is perfect for any meze table. It can also be a healthy spread for flatbread or sandwiches.
What Is Beetroot Hummus?
Beetroot hummus is a tasty, healthy, and beautiful-looking dip that is essentially roasted beet and tahini that is perfect for any meze table.
It’s very popular in Lebanese, Middle Eastern and Syrian cuisine, which is often garnished with olive oil and herbs.
It’s also known as mutabbal shamandar which translates to beet and tahini dip that pairs well with flatbread.
This recipe is great to make-ahead for the week because you can simply keep it stored in an airtight container and serve it on your dinner table.
Beetroot hummus is also a popular recipe during the spring and summer because it’s at its best and very sweet, which makes a delicious dip.
Blend All Ingredients
- Add the beetroot, chickpeas, and garlic to your food processor. Blend until fully combined, for 1 minute.
- Add the tahini, olive oil, salt, and lemon juice to your food processor. Blend until fully creamy.
- Depending on your preferred texture, you may need to add slightly more tahini and olive oil to make it more creamy.
- Transfer to an airtight container and use within 4-5 days
- This recipe uses cooked beets that are vacuum-packed from the supermarket. This eliminates the time it takes to roast.
- You may need to add slightly more tahini and olive oil, depending on how creamy you prefer your hummus.
Can you freeze beetroot hummus?
We don’t recommend freezing beetroot hummus because it will dramatically affect the texture and taste once thawed. It’s best to keep it stored in the fridge for 4 to 5 days.
How long does beetroot hummus last in the fridge?
Fresh or homemade beetroot hummus can last up to 4 to 5 days in the fridge, but you must use an airtight container. It’s great for meal prep for the week ahead.
Tips & Tricks
- To make this faster: you can simply use canned chickpeas, and you can buy vacuum-packed cooked beets. This will save plenty of time because you can simply blend all the ingredients.
- Without Tahini: You can eliminate tahini for this recipe if you wish because the flavor from the beetroot is very strong alone. You can add water to thin out the hummus if you wish also.
There are many variations of the beetroot hummus recipe, however the key ingredients are:
- Roasted Beetroot
- Roasted Chickpeas
- Olive Oil
- Salt and black pepper, to taste.
This recipe can also be garnished with:
- Olive Oil
As nutrition specialists, we are dedicated to providing the best and most effective meal plans. Our team constantly tests and experiments with different recipes and approaches to ensure our offerings are of the highest quality. We also collaborate with a network of nutrition and data experts from around the globe to bring you innovative and advanced meal plans. All of the nutritional information provided is sourced from the USDA API.