This BBQ Chicken Sandwich Recipe is a quick and easy solution for anyone looking to switch up their lunch or dinner routine. With only a few simple ingredients, you can create a delectable meal that will satisfy your cravings.
To prepare this sandwich, boneless, skinless chicken breasts are seasoned with salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder, then grilled or baked until fully cooked. The key to giving these chicken breasts their signature flavor is the BBQ sauce, which coats the meat and adds a tangy kick to each bite.
You can tailor this sandwich to your liking by adding extra toppings to suit your taste preferences. Sliced onions, pickles, and cheese are just a few options to consider. Toasted sandwich buns are the perfect vessel for this savory chicken, providing a delightful crunch with every bite.
One of the best things about this recipe is how easy it is to customize. It’s a go-to choice for busy weeknights when time is scarce, or for lazy weekends when you want a delicious meal without spending hours in the kitchen. Whether you’re cooking for yourself or your family, this BBQ Chicken Sandwich Recipe is a surefire crowd-pleaser. So, fire up the grill or preheat the oven and get ready to savor this mouthwatering sandwich!
BBQ Chicken Sandwich Recipe
- Season chicken breasts with salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Grill or bake chicken until fully cooked.
- Brush BBQ sauce onto cooked chicken.
- Toast sandwich buns.
- Place BBQ chicken on bottom half of each bun.
- Add any desired toppings (e.g. sliced onion, pickles, cheese).
- Top with other half of bun.
- Serve and enjoy!
2. Use a meat thermometer to ensure the chicken is fully cooked before adding the BBQ sauce.
3. Use a brush to evenly coat the chicken with the BBQ sauce.
4. Toasting the buns adds extra texture and flavor to the sandwich.
5. Add toppings that complement the flavors of the BBQ sauce and chicken.
6. Cut the chicken into thin slices for easier eating.
7. Serve the sandwich immediately while it is still warm and crispy.
Data source: USDA
The BBQ chicken sandwich recipe can typically last in the fridge for about 3-4 days if stored properly in an airtight container. To store, simply place the cooked chicken in a container or plastic bag with a lid and pour the BBQ sauce over it. As for freezing, the cooked chicken can last for up to 2-3 months.
To freeze, wrap the chicken in plastic wrap and store in a tightly sealed freezer-safe container or plastic bag. When ready to serve, defrost in the fridge overnight and then reheat in the oven or on the stovetop until heated through.
As for the sandwich buns and optional toppings, they should be stored separately from the chicken to prevent sogginess. The buns can be stored in a sealed bag or container at room temperature for up to 1-2 days, or in the freezer for up to 2-3 months. The toppings should also be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
1. BBQ Pulled Chicken Sliders – Make mini sandwiches by using slider buns instead of regular buns.
2. BBQ Chicken Quesadilla – Shred the cooked chicken and stuff it in a tortilla with cheese and BBQ sauce, then cook it until crispy.
3. BBQ Chicken Salad – Top a bed of greens with sliced BBQ chicken, avocado, tomato, and your favorite dressing.
4. BBQ Chicken Pizza – Spread BBQ sauce over a pre-made pizza crust, top with shredded BBQ chicken, red onion, jalapenos, and cheese, then bake until bubbly.
5. BBQ Chicken Tacos – Fill soft or hard taco shells with shredded BBQ chicken, coleslaw, and avocado.
6. BBQ Chicken Wrap – Wrap BBQ chicken with lettuce, tomato, cheese, and ranch in a tortilla.
7. BBQ Chicken Flatbread – Spread BBQ sauce over a baked flatbread, top with diced BBQ chicken, red onion, and cheese, then broil until hot and bubbly.
8. BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes – Bake sweet potatoes until tender, then stuff with BBQ chicken, black beans, corn, and cheese.
9. BBQ Chicken Dip – Mix cooked shredded BBQ chicken with cream cheese, sour cream, and your favorite seasonings, then bake until hot and bubbly.
10. BBQ Chicken Nachos – Layer tortilla chips with BBQ chicken, cheese, tomato, jalapenos, and black beans, then bake until cheese is melted.
What To Serve With
– Coleslaw or potato salad
– Corn on the cob
– Baked beans
– Sweet potato fries or regular fries
– Grilled vegetables (such as zucchini, bell peppers, and onions)
– Macaroni and cheese
– Grilled or roasted cornbread
– Green salad with a tangy dressing
– Watermelon slices for a refreshing dessert
We are dedicated to providing the best and most effective meal plans to help you stay on track with your goals. Our team constantly tests and experiments with different recipes and approaches to ensure our offerings are of the highest quality. We also collaborate with a network of nutrition and data experts from around the globe to bring you innovative and advanced meal plans.