Avocado chocolate mousse is a delectable dessert that has taken the health world by storm. Made with the natural goodness of avocados, this rich and creamy dessert is a healthier twist on traditional chocolate mousse. The dish is a mouth-watering blend of avocado, cocoa powder, maple syrup, and vanilla extract – all whipped together to create a silky smooth texture.
This dessert dates back to the 1970s where it gained popularity in California. The recipe was originally created as a healthy alternative to the classic French dessert, but its popularity surged after its nutritional benefits were discovered. Avocado chocolate mousse is a great source of healthy fats, protein, and fiber, all of which are essential for maintaining good health.
Today, this dessert has become a go-to for health-conscious individuals who are looking to indulge in a treat without compromising their health. Its rich and silky texture coupled with nutritionally rich ingredients has made it a top contender on every dessert menu. Whether you’re a die-hard chocolate lover or an avocado fan, this dessert is bound to satisfy your sweet tooth.
Here is why you might love this recipe:
1. Healthy alternative: The Avocado Chocolate Mousse recipe is a healthy alternative to the traditional chocolate mousse. It is rich, creamy, and indulgent, while also being nutritious with the addition of avocados as a primary ingredient.
2. Easy to make: The recipe is straightforward and easy to make, requiring only a few ingredients and minimal preparation time. Anyone can whip up a batch of this delicious and healthy dessert, even for those who are not experienced in the kitchen.
3. Delicious taste: The combination of avocado and chocolate is a match made in heaven. The rich, smooth texture of the mousse is sure to tickle your taste buds and satisfy your sweet tooth, making it a crowd-pleaser for all ages.
Avocado Chocolate Mousse Recipe
- 2 avocado
- 1/2 cup (43.6 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup (163.3 g) maple syrup adjust to taste
- 1/4 cup (63.4 g) almond milk or non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- Cut the avocados in half, remove the pit and scoop the flesh into a blender or food processor.
- Add cocoa powder, sweetener (maple syrup or honey), almond milk, vanilla extract, and salt to the blender.
- Blend all the ingredients together until smooth and creamy. You can adjust the sweetness to your liking.
- Once the mousse is smooth, transfer it to a bowl or individual serving cups.
- Chill the mousse in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or until set.
- Serve chilled with whipped cream or chopped nuts on top if desired.
- Enjoy the delicious and healthy treat that is packed with nutrients, fiber, and antioxidants.
Data source: USDA
|Main Ingredient||Brief Description||Possible Alternatives|
|Ripe Avocados||Creamy, fiber-rich fruit that adds texture and healthy fat to the recipe||Zucchini, pumpkin, or sweet potato puree|
|Unsweetened Cocoa Powder||Provides a rich chocolate flavor without added sugar or fat||Carob powder or cacao powder|
|Maple Syrup or Honey||Sweetener that complements the bitterness of cocoa powder||Agave nectar, date syrup, or stevia|
|Non-Dairy Milk||Adds moisture and creaminess to the recipe||Soy milk, oat milk, coconut milk, or rice milk|
|Vanilla Extract||Enhances the flavor of the chocolate and sweeteners||Almond extract, mint extract, or hazelnut extract|
|Salt||Balance the sweetness and intensify the chocolate flavor||Sea salt or coarse salt|
|Whipped Cream or Chopped Nuts||Optional toppings that add a creamy or crunchy contrast||Coconut whipped cream, shaved chocolate, or cacao nibs|
1. Avocado: Avocado is rich in healthy fats, fiber, vitamins B6, C, E, and K, potassium, and magnesium. It helps to improve cardiovascular health by lowering bad cholesterol levels and increasing good cholesterol levels. It also helps to promote healthy eyes, skin, and hair.
2. Cocoa powder: Cocoa powder is a good source of fiber, iron, magnesium, and antioxidants. It can help reduce inflammation, improve cardiovascular health, and promote brain health.
3. Maple syrup: Maple syrup is a natural sweetener that contains various minerals such as zinc, iron, calcium, and potassium. It can help regulate blood sugar levels, reduce inflammation, and improve gut health.
4. Vanilla extract: Vanilla extract has antioxidant properties and has been found to have a calming effect on the nervous system, promote healthy digestion, and help reduce inflammation.
Avocado Chocolate Mousse can last for up to three days in an airtight container in the refrigerator. If you want to store it for a longer time, you can freeze it.
To freeze the mousse, spoon it into an airtight container and freeze for up to two months. When you want to eat it again, defrost it slowly in the refrigerator overnight, or on the counter for an hour or two before serving.
Always remember to use a separate container for freezing and not to refreeze the thawed mousse. Additionally, keep in mind that the texture and taste of the mousse may change slightly after it is frozen and thawed.
Here are some general tips on how to save money when making an Avocado Chocolate Mousse Recipe:
1. Buy in bulk: When buying ingredients like avocados, cocoa powder, and vanilla extract, consider purchasing in bulk. This will reduce the overall cost per unit and save you money in the long run.
2. Shop at discount stores: Check out discounter stores like Aldi or Lidl, they often have great prices on fresh produce and baking ingredients.
3. Use a cheaper sweetener: If the recipe calls for maple syrup, you may want to consider using a cheaper sweetener like honey or agave syrup instead.
4. Look for sales: Check your local grocery store’s flyers for sales on the ingredients for the recipe, you may find that some of the ingredients you need are on sale.
5. Use less expensive ingredients: Consider using a less expensive chocolate or cream to save costs, but bear in mind that using low-quality ingredients may affect the taste and quality of the final product.
6. Make it yourself: Making your own avocado chocolate mousse is much cheaper than buying it pre-made from a store. Plus, you get to control the quality of the ingredients and tailor the recipe to your liking.
Time Saving TIps
1. Use pre-made, store-bought whipped cream instead of making it from scratch.
2. Melt the chocolate in the microwave instead of using a double boiler.
3. Use pre-made avocado puree or mashed avocados instead of having to blend them yourself.
4. Skip decorating the mousse with extra toppings like chocolate shavings or whipped cream.
5. Chilling the mousse for a shorter amount of time if needed.
6. Use an electric mixer for blending the ingredients together quickly.
1. Vegan Avocado Chocolate Mousse – substitute honey or maple syrup with a vegan sweetener like agave nectar or monk fruit extract.
2. Peanut Butter Avocado Chocolate Mousse – add a few tablespoons of peanut butter to the mixture and blend well. You can also add peanuts or peanut butter cups as a topping.
3. Mint Chocolate Avocado Mousse – add a few drops of peppermint extract and blend well. You can also add chopped mint leaves or a sprig of fresh mint as a garnish.
4. Banana Chocolate Avocado Mousse – add mashed ripe bananas to the mixture and blend well. This gives the mousse a creamy and fruity flavor.
5. Orange Chocolate Avocado Mousse – add orange zest and juice to the mixture and blend well. This gives the mousse a hint of citrusy flavor.
6. Cinnamon Chocolate Avocado Mousse – add ground cinnamon to the mixture and blend well. This gives the mousse a warm and cozy flavor.
7. Dark Chocolate Avocado Mousse – use dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate for a rich and decadent taste.
8. Salted Caramel Chocolate Avocado Mousse – add a drizzle of salted caramel sauce on top of the mousse for a sweet and salty twist.
9. Matcha Chocolate Avocado Mousse – add matcha powder to the mixture for a subtle green tea flavor. You can also sprinkle some matcha powder on top as a garnish.
What To Serve With
Here are some ideas on what you can serve with Avocado Chocolate Mousse:
1. Whipped Cream: Top your avocado chocolate mousse with a dollop of whipped cream to balance the rich and creamy taste of the mousse.
2. Berries: Serve fresh berries like strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, or blackberries alongside the avocado chocolate mousse. The tartness of the berries will complement the sweetness of the mousse.
3. Nuts: Add some crunch to your dessert by topping it with chopped nuts such as almonds, pistachios, or pecans.
4. Toasted Coconut: You can sprinkle some toasted coconut flakes over your avocado chocolate mousse to add a tropical twist to the recipe.
5. Graham Crackers: Crush some graham crackers and serve them on the side. You can use them to dip into the avocado chocolate mousse or sprinkle them over the top for added texture.
6. Ice Cream: Serve your avocado chocolate mousse alongside a scoop or two of your favorite ice cream flavor. The cold and creamy ice cream will pair well with the smooth and velvety mousse.
We are dedicated to providing the best and most effective meal plans to help you stay on track with your goals. Our team constantly tests and experiments with different recipes and approaches to ensure our offerings are of the highest quality. We also collaborate with a network of nutrition and data experts from around the globe to bring you innovative and advanced meal plans.