The Aubergine and Mozzarella bake is a delicious vegetarian recipe which is ideal for a family night in or you can use the leftovers for your meal prep.
Aubergine and Mozzarella Bake
- 2 aubergines sliced
- 1 mozzarella ball sliced
- 20 g parmesan cheese grated
- 2 chopped tomatoes 400g each
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp salt and black pepper
- 1 tsp red chili flakes optional
- On a medium heated saucepan, add 1 tbsp of olive oil and the onions. After five minutes, add the garlic and cook for a further 3-4 minutes.
- Pour in the chopped tomatoes and continue to stir. Season with 1 tsp of salt and black pepper. Also 1 tsp of red chilli flakes, which is optional. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Slice the aubergines lengthways into multiple slices. Preferably you should have eight slices from two aubergines. Brush each slice with the olive oil and season with salt and black pepper.
- There are several ways to cook these slices. It is best achieved on a grill but you can also use the oven, frying or griddle pan. Ultimately, you want to cook until golden-brown which should take 10-12 minutes overall.
- Once your tomato sauce and aubergines are ready, get your oven proof dish ready to combine all ingredients. Ensure the oven is preheated to 200C / 400F for best results.
- Add the tomato sauce as the bottom layer and spread evenly. Follow the same process by evenly placing each aubergine slice on top of the tomato sauce. Add the grated parmesan and sliced mozzarella. Bake for 25-30 minutes, you will know it's ready by observing the mozzarella melting on top.
- Carefully allow the oven proof dish to cool down and serve.
- Ensure the oven is preheated for the best results.
- If you can, grill the aubergines for best results.
Meal Plan Weekly is a resource for busy people and home cooks around the world. What started as a solo blog has now turned into a website of healthy recipes and home cooking tips written by home cooks, chefs and nutritionists around the world. Our mission is to make healthy cooking easy, with realistic recipes that you will actually cook and balanced meals that you can fit into your meal plan.