Halloumi fries are incredibly delicious and satisfying, but do you know how to make them crispier without using any oil? Use an air fryer!
This recipe is also super quick and low-carb because it uses coconut flour for the coating, uses smoked paprika and is tasty when combined with halloumi.
What Are Halloumi Fries?
Halloumi fries are similar to mozzarella sticks but richer and heavier. You simply cut the cheese into fries, coat with flour, spices, and bake (or deep fry).
I have wanted to make halloumi fries for a while as I first discovered them in a restaurant in London which was on the starter menu.
They were terrific, but that day left me feeling puzzled. It was the heaviest starter I have ever eaten which got me questioning: what type of meal is this?
If it is too heavy for a starter, can you eat these as a side dish or main meal?
Can You Cook Halloumi In The Air Fryer?
Suppose you want to bake these halloumi fries in the oven, but it works great with the air fryer because of the speed and crispiness levels you can achieve.
They are a great alternative to deep-frying food but the main advantage which I have noticed is that the air fryer is so quick and makes the food very crispy.
For example, I made batata harra by using the air fryer, and it was still crispy and full of flavor which didn’t take long to prepare.
By using the air fryer, these halloumi fries came out very crispy and were done by 15 minutes!
We recommend – Air Fryer, Uten 6.5L Power Air Fryer
If you’re looking to invest in an air fryer it’s seriously worth it because it’s fast, healthy, and convenient. Just read the reviews! You can cook most of your favorite recipes using this air fryer, and it does a superb job in making certain foods crispy and tasty without using oil. Most of our readers are busy people and don’t want to spend all evening cooking. This air fryer allows you fry, bake, grill, and roast food quickly. Even if you fancy a grilled type breakfast in the morning, you can cook that within 15 minutes too.
Is This Recipe Low Carb?
There are a few variations to make halloumi fries, but I opted for the low carbohydrate route because halloumi is already high in fat and by coating them in flour is perhaps the reason why they feel so heavy.
As a result, I chose coconut flour because this is popular with keto diets and enables me to feel less guilty snacking on these fries.
Therefore, if you are looking to reduce your carbohydrates and need a high protein meal, these halloumi fries will feel you up.
Is This A Keto Friendly Recipe?
As mentioned, this snack is low-carb and is actually ideal if you are on the keto diet because it is high in fat.
If you are following a keto diet, you can eat these as part of your diet plan.
However, if you are like me, and do not specifically follow the keto diet and generally follow a balanced diet, then you might need to be careful.
While I do like some ideas from keto recipes, they are often high in fat and low-carb.
If you’re on a balanced diet, you do need to be careful about super high-fat meals and snacks, and these halloumi chips are very high in fat which means it is high in calories too.
Half a serving for me was around 453 calories!
Can You Reheat Halloumi Fries?
Yes, you can store these halloumi fries in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheat them in the microwave or oven.
- If you do not have smoked paprika, you can use regular paprika or chili powder. This is purely for flavoring and adding in extra spice.
- If you do not have coconut flour, you can just use plain flour but use 75g of it for this recipe.
I made a batch of these and only a few of these fries was filling enough to equal a meal, and as a result I used the other half for my meal prep which still tasted after two days (but I would not go beyond that because halloumi is not the most meal prep friendly ingredient).
I think the halloumi fries are very tasty but it is definitely a party snack and I feel these are too heavy for a side dish.
Air Fryer Halloumi Fries Recipe
- Prepare the egg and flour mixture first. Crack the egg into your bowl, whisk and season with black pepper. In another bowl, add the coconut flour and season with the smoked paprika.
- Slice the halloumi in half and then into thin sticks.
- Dip the halloumi stick in the flour (with your left hand), then dip it in the egg mixture (with your right hand), lightly dip in the flour (with right hand) and place in the air fryer tray. Repeat this process until you are done.
- Set the air fryer temperature to 180 C and set the timer for 15 minutes. You can check after 10 to 12 minutes on the progress, but 15 minutes is enough time.
- Serve with your favourite sauce.
- These will taste best fresh but you can use it for your meal prep up to 2 to 3 days.
- I did not season the flour or egg with salt as halloumi is already high in sodium.
As nutrition specialists, we are dedicated to providing the best and most effective meal plans. Our team constantly tests and experiments with different recipes and approaches to ensure our offerings are of the highest quality. We also collaborate with a network of nutrition and data experts from around the globe to bring you innovative and advanced meal plans. All of the nutritional information provided is sourced from the USDA API.