This air fryer cheeseburger recipe is quick, easy, very convenient, hassle-free, and incredibly tasty. I was impressed with the results and will indeed be cooking my burgers in the air fryer going forward, which happens to be ideal for meal prep and batch cooking.
Why cook burgers in the air fryer?
If you are looking for a quicker and cleaner way to cook burgers, you should definitely try cooking them in the air fryer because the results are amazing.
Firstly, they were ready far quicker than anticipated because I had set the timer to 10 minutes and expected to flip them once the timer was off. Instead, they were perfectly done and ready to eat.
Of course, results may vary, and it can depend on the type of air fryer. Still, generally, you can quickly cook fresh burgers within 12 minutes in the air fryer without any hassle.
And this is what I love about the air fryer the most. The all-round convenience and here is why:
- No mess: Usually when I make cheeseburgers indoors, it gets messy. If I cook on the hob or oven, oil splatters everywhere, and it’s a hassle cleaning it all up. Not to mention, it’s a hassle getting rid of the smell. In the air fryer, the fat from the burger drops out of the basket, and you end up with a burger that looks freshly grilled. Also, cleaning the air fryer basket is quick and easy.
- No oil required: You do not need to use any oil because there’s enough fat in the burger and the air fryer will remove the fat dripping off the burger.
- Fast cooking time: The main benefit of the air fryer is that it cooks food fast. You can literally set the timer to 10 – 12 minutes, walk away, and come back to a freshly made burger.
- Perfect for meal prep: If you love meal prepping for the week ahead, these burgers can be made in the air fryer and stored in an air-tight container which you can refrigerate or freeze. This can help you save time during the busy week and allow you to enjoy a juicy burger.
You can cook any type of burger in the air fryer whether it’s beef, lamb, turkey, vegetarian or vegan.
Also, you can use store-bought burgers or frozen burgers which again cook very fast in the air fryer.
However, to make a homemade cheeseburger, simply use these ingredients:
- Beef Mince: I made the patties from 10% fat beef mince which is ideal because you do not need to use any oil and these burgers will taste great. In fact, they can easily taste similar to what you get from Five Guys or any burger takeout restaurant. To keep it macro-friendly, I would suggest using 5% fat beef mince, and you can still avoid using oil – however, keep an eye on the cooking time and don’t cook them for too long otherwise they will be too dry.
- Basic Seasoning: This cheeseburger recipe calls for basic seasoning with is just salt and black pepper.
- Toppings: Add your favorite toppings to your burger.
How to make an air fryer cheeseburger?
To make a cheeseburger in an air fryer is a very straightforward process and easier than any other cooking method.
Just simply place your burger patties in the air fryer basket and set the timer to 10 minutes. Place the cheese on top and cook for another minute.
Done, and as you can see by the image below, there’s no need for oil, and the fat drips out of the basket.
If you are cooking store-bought or frozen burgers, follow the instructions on the packaging, but do bear in mind that they will cook faster in the air fryer.
As a result, cook the burgers for 10 minutes and check to see the progress. Add another 2 – 5 minutes and check again. It should be ready.
For lean burgers, the key is to find the ideal time and not overcook them.
- Want to keep it low-carb or healthy? Try this burger salad meal prep using this recipe! It’s so tasty. Basically, you just eliminate the bun and reduce the calories but enjoy the taste of a cheeseburger.
- Save time with meal prep. On Sunday’s, although I enjoy meal prepping, I also want to get it done in the morning and enjoy my afternoon. The key to getting my meal prep completed quickly is by diversifying my cooking methods. The air fryer is an amazing tool which allows me to cook these burgers within 12 minutes without monitoring them.
Frequently asked questions
How long does it take to cook a burger in an air fryer?
It will take 10 – 12 minutes, but it can depend on the type of burger which means results will vary.
Can I cook ground beef in my air fryer?
Yes, it’s perfectly fine to cook ground beef in the air fryer. Recipes using ground beef like burgers, meatballs, kebabs or meatloaf are great for the air fryer.
Do you need to flip burgers in an air fryer?
Technically, you don’t need to and can just leave them in the air fryer for the entire cooking duration. However, it is advised that you flip them after 10 minutes because it does also depend on the type of air fryer you are using.
Can you air fry frozen hamburger?
Yes, you can air fryer frozen hamburgers and the results are outstanding. You can almost follow the same instructions in this recipe card but add another 5 – 8 minutes to the cooking time.
What do you Season burgers with?
This cheeseburger recipe calls for a basic salt and black pepper seasoning. However, if you want it to be spicy, you can season it with paprika, smoked paprika, or cayenne pepper.
Want more air fryer recipes? Try these!
Air Fryer Cheeseburger Recipe
- 2 burger patties made from beef mince
- salt and black pepper
- 2 burger buns
- 2 slices cheddar cheese
- fresh tomatoes
- red onion
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- Preheat air fryer for 5 minutes at 180°C / 350°F.
- Season the beef mince with salt and black pepper, and make the burger patties to your desired size.
- Cook the burgers in the air fryer at 180°C / 350°F for 10 minutes.
- Add the cheese slices and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Serve on buns.
- You can store the burger patties in the fridge for 3-4 days or freeze them for up to 3 months.
Meal Plan Weekly is a resource for busy people and home cooks around the world. What started as a solo blog has now turned into a website of healthy recipes and home cooking tips written by home cooks, chefs and nutritionists around the world. Our mission is to make healthy cooking easy, with realistic recipes that you will actually cook and balanced meals that you can fit into your meal plan.